Possible mistake in question? (system of linear inequalities)

In summary, The conversation is about a graph provided in a task that the speaker has been trying to solve for a while. They are confused about where the 5 to 8 line came from, as the inequality (5x+8y<5) does not create that sort of line. They suspect that there may be a mistake made by their teacher.
swag312
f8376256013cdfd5c8ac7dee1536d3b7.png

Hello, so there's a graph provided in the task which I'm trying to solve for a quite a while and I am really confused where the 5 to 8 line came from, because (5x+8y<5) doesn't create that sort of line. Is it possible that there's a misstake done by my teacher or am I understanding something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
swag312 said:
Hello, so there's a graph provided in the task which I'm trying to solve for a quite a while and I am really confused where the 5 to 8 line came from, because (5x+8y<5) doesn't create that sort of line. Is it possible that there's a misstake done by my teacher or am I understanding something wrong?
It certainly looks like a mistake. If the diagram is meant to illustrate the inequalities then the third inequality should be $5x+8y\le40$.

1. What is a system of linear inequalities?

A system of linear inequalities is a set of two or more linear inequalities with the same variables. These inequalities are connected by logical operators such as "and" or "or" and represent the constraints or boundaries of a problem.

2. How do you solve a system of linear inequalities?

To solve a system of linear inequalities, you can use a graphing method or an algebraic method. In the graphing method, you plot each inequality on a coordinate plane and find the overlapping region. In the algebraic method, you manipulate the inequalities to isolate the variables and find the solution set.

3. What is a possible mistake in a system of linear inequalities?

A possible mistake in a system of linear inequalities could be an incorrect sign or operation when manipulating the inequalities. For example, changing a "less than" sign to a "greater than" sign can completely change the solution set.

4. How do you check for mistakes in a system of linear inequalities?

To check for mistakes in a system of linear inequalities, you can plug in the solution set into each inequality and see if it satisfies the inequality. If it does not, then there may be a mistake in the system.

5. Can a system of linear inequalities have no solution?

Yes, a system of linear inequalities can have no solution if the inequalities are contradictory or if the solution set is empty. This means that there is no point that satisfies all of the inequalities in the system.