Alpha particle close to the nucleus

Juli
Homework Statement
What is the impact parameter of an alpha particle with kinetic energy 4 MeV that is deflected by the angle ##\theta = 15°## when scattered by a gold nucleus (Z =79)?
Relevant Equations
$$p = \frac{k}{mv_0^2}cot\frac{\theta}{2} $$ with $$k = \frac{2Ze^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}$$
Hello everyone, while studying I found this task in my textbook.
Solving this problem with the help of the formula seems quite straightforward. But I get a different result than the solution the textbook offers.
I get: Around ##5∗10^{−15}m## (which is a typical solution for a radius of a nucleus)
Textbook says: ##2.16∗10^{−13}m##The point where I think I probably could be mistaken, is the velocity ##v_0##. I calculated it with ##E= \frac{1}{2}m∗v^2## with ##E=4MeV##.
Is that wrong? I get ##v_0=1.44∗10^7\frac{m}{s}## (which I think is already relativistic, so I think there is my mistake?)
Can anyone verify the solution of the textbook?
I would be very grateful for any help, since I'm quite confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A kinetic energy of 4 Mev is nonrelativistic for an alpha particle, which has a rest mass energy of about 3.7 Gev. For the speed of the alpha particle, I get 1.38 x 107 m/s, which is a little less than your value. This is about 5% the speed of light.

Your formula looks correct. I get the textbook's answer for the impact parameter. The only way we can identify your mistake is for you to show your calculation explicitly with all the numerical values and units for the various quantities.

Likes berkeman, PeroK and Juli
Juli said:
Can anyone verify the solution of the textbook?
Like @TSny, I get the same answer as the text book.

Your value for ##v_0 (1.44\times 10^7m/s)## is about 4% bigger than the correct value (a small but signficant difference). You might want to sort out why.

In fact there is no need to work out ##v_0##. In the formula ##p = \frac{k}{mv_0^2}cot\frac{\theta}{2}## note that ##mv_0^2## is simply twice the kinetic energy, i.e. ##mv_0^2 = 8MeV##.

Likes Juli
Thank you both so much.
Steve4Physics said:
Like @TSny, I get the same answer as the text book.

Your value for ##v_0 (1.44\times 10^7m/s)## is about 4% bigger than the correct value (a small but signficant difference). You might want to sort out why.

In fact there is no need to work out ##v_0##. In the formula ##p = \frac{k}{mv_0^2}cot\frac{\theta}{2}## note that ##mv_0^2## is simply twice the kinetic energy, i.e. ##mv_0^2 = 8MeV##.
Especially the point about ##mv^2## was very helpful. There was my mistake, I get the right solution now.

Likes berkeman and TSny

1. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of nuclear radiation consisting of two protons and two neutrons bound together. It is essentially the nucleus of a helium atom.

2. What happens when an alpha particle is close to the nucleus?

When an alpha particle is close to the nucleus, it can interact with the nucleus through the strong nuclear force. This interaction can result in nuclear reactions such as alpha decay or nuclear fusion.

3. Is an alpha particle dangerous when close to the nucleus?

An alpha particle itself is not dangerous when close to the nucleus. However, if the nucleus undergoes a reaction that produces high-energy particles or radiation, those can be harmful to living organisms.

4. How does an alpha particle behave near the nucleus?

An alpha particle behaves near the nucleus by experiencing the strong nuclear force, which is attractive and binds the nucleus together. This force can influence the trajectory of the alpha particle and determine the outcome of nuclear interactions.

5. What are the implications of an alpha particle being close to the nucleus?

When an alpha particle is close to the nucleus, it can lead to nuclear reactions that have important implications in fields such as nuclear physics, nuclear energy, and astrophysics. Understanding these interactions is crucial for various scientific and technological applications.