Possible Results and Probabilities of a Measurement of Operator Q

In summary: I mean, yes, it's true that the wave-function makes the probabilities come out right, but the probabilities are what you see in the experiment, not the wave-function itself.By the way, I think this is a great question, and not at all obvious. The fact that the probability of the outcome is related to the wave-function, not the eigenvalue itself, is one of the key insights of QM, and often goes unmentioned. So, the fact that you were confused by this is not a bad thing, it's good that you caught it and puzzled over it. I think it shows that you are thinking deeply and critically about the material.I think the key word here is "measurement". The probabilities
koil_
Homework Statement
A quantum system is prepared in a superposition state of the normalized eigenfunctions
$$\phi^{Q}$$ associated with the dynamical variable Q. The superposition may be written as,
$$ \Psi = 2\phi_1^Q+3\phi_2^Q+6\phi_3^Q $$

If the eigenvalues are $$Q_1 =1, Q_2 =0, Q_3 =−1$$ , what are the possible results of a
measurement of Q on this quantum system and what is the probability of obtaining each
possible result?

Find the expected value of Q
Relevant Equations
$$ \Psi = 2\phi_1^Q+3\phi_2^Q+6\phi_3^Q $$ $$Q_1 =1, Q_2 =0, Q_3 =−1$$
I first Normalise the wavefunction:
$$ \Psi_N = A*\Psi, \textrm{ where } A = (\frac{1}{\sum {|a_n^{'}|^{2}}})^{1/2} $$
$$ \Psi_N = \frac{2}{7}\phi_1^Q+\frac{3}{7}\phi_2^Q+\frac{6}{7}\phi_3^Q $$

The Eigenstate Equation is:
$$\hat{Q}\phi_n=q_n\phi_n$$

The eigenvalues are the set of possible outcomes from the dynamic variable Q so is that not the answer to the first part of the question?

For the second part, the fourth postulate states that after the dynamic variable is carried out the probability the result is equal to a particular eigenvalue is:
$$P(q_n) = |a_n|^2 \textrm{ Where } \Psi_N = \sum{a_n}{\phi_n}$$

which would simply give:

$$P(\phi_1)=\frac{4}{49}, P(\phi_2)=\frac{9}{49}, P(\phi_3)=\frac{36}{49} $$

But nowhere in my answers have I used the eigenvalues provided and the question is of the form "if the eigenvalues are X, find this" so I'm sure I've missed something, I'm just not sure what. The last part of the question talks about the expectation value of $Q$ which I would think to be:
$$<x>=q_1P(\phi_1)+q_2P(\phi_2)+q_3P(\phi_3)$$
$$<x>=1*\frac{4}{49}+0+(-)1*\frac{36}{49}$$
$$<x>=0.653$$

This part does (at least to my understanding) utilise the eigenvalues but for the second part discussed above I'm not sure how it comes into it.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good, but check the sign of your answer for ##<x>##.

The eigenvalues come in for the first part where you are asked to list the possible results for a measurement of Q.

Also, the eigenvalues are relevant when considering the probabilities. For example, ##\frac{36}{49}## is the probability that a measurement of Q yields the result -1.

Likes koil_ and vela
koil_ said:
The eigenvalues are the set of possible outcomes from the dynamic variable Q so is that not the answer to the first part of the question?
Your answer is generally true, but the question is asking you to list the possible outcomes for this particular state. If the probability of a particular outcome turned out to be 0 for the given state, you shouldn't list the outcome as one of the possible results of the measurement. For example, if you had instead been given the state ##\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\phi_1^Q + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\phi_2^Q##, you would not list ##-1## as one of the the possible outcomes because ##a_3 = 0## for this particular state.

Likes TSny
TSny said:
Your work looks good, but check the sign of your answer for ##<x>##.

The eigenvalues come in for the first part where you are asked to list the possible results for a measurement of Q.

Also, the eigenvalues are relevant when considering the probabilities. For example, ##\frac{36}{49}## is the probability that a measurement of Q yields the result -1.
Thanks for pointing that mistake out and for the clarification :)

koil_ said:
$$P(\phi_1)=\frac{4}{49}, P(\phi_2)=\frac{9}{49}, P(\phi_3)=\frac{36}{49} $$
This isn't wrong, as such, but instead I would have written:
$$P(Q_1)=\frac{4}{49}, P(Q_2)=\frac{9}{49}, P(Q_3)=\frac{36}{49} $$
Can you see why?

Likes koil_
vela said:
Your answer is generally true, but the question is asking you to list the possible outcomes for this particular state. If the probability of a particular outcome turned out to be 0 for the given state, you shouldn't list the outcome as one of the possible results of the measurement. For example, if you had instead been given the state ##\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\phi_1^Q + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\phi_2^Q##, you would not list ##-1## as one of the the possible outcomes because ##a_3 = 0## for this particular state.
I see thank you - I think what threw me off was just the wording of the question (as this was the only question in a series of superposition question that involved the eigenvalues) and I expected to utilise more information than I needed.

On from that could you possibly recommend any resources that are good at getting the introductrory level understanding in QM particularly with the terminology. I'm a wee Y2 Astrophys student and I'm not feeling terribly confident in my work using university resources just due to the "choppyness" of content covered instead of a thorough coverage.

We use the Quantum Mechanics by Alastair I. M. Rae and Jim Napolitano but the lack of examples restrict my practical abilities when it comes to questions. Many thanks

PeroK said:
This isn't wrong, as such, but instead I would have written:
$$P(Q_1)=\frac{4}{49}, P(Q_2)=\frac{9}{49}, P(Q_3)=\frac{36}{49} $$
Can you see why?
I would like to say because, when a measurement is made, the wavefunction will collapse into one of the superposition eigenfunctions ##\phi_n## where the operator ##\hat{Q}## on ##\phi_n## will 'output' the eigenvalue ##Q_n##?

koil_ said:
I would like to say because, when a measurement is made, the wavefunction will collapse into one of the superposition eigenfunctions ##\phi_n## where the operator ##\hat{Q}## on ##\phi_n## will 'output' the eigenvalue ##Q_n##?
I would say because the probabilities are fundamentally related to the outcome of the experiment: and the outcome of the experiment is the measurement ##Q_n##. The probability of each measurement value describes the experimental outcomes. The wave-function and its collapse are the underlying QM machinery, as it were. So, it seems more pointed to me to relate probabilities to what you measure, rather than what the wave function may or may not be doing in the background.

Likes koil_

What is an operator Q?

An operator Q is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that can be measured in a scientific experiment. It is typically denoted by the letter Q and is used to describe the observable properties of a system.

How is the measurement of operator Q performed?

The measurement of operator Q is performed by applying the operator to the state of the system and then obtaining a numerical value as the result. This value represents the measured quantity of the system.

What are the possible results of a measurement of operator Q?

The possible results of a measurement of operator Q are determined by the eigenvalues of the operator. These are the values that the operator can return as a result of the measurement and are often represented by the letter q.

What is the probability of obtaining a specific result from a measurement of operator Q?

The probability of obtaining a specific result from a measurement of operator Q is determined by the quantum mechanical concept of probability amplitude, which is calculated using the state of the system and the eigenvalues of the operator.

How does the measurement of operator Q relate to uncertainty and probability in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the measurement of operator Q is associated with uncertainty and probability. This is because the act of measurement can alter the state of the system, making it impossible to determine the exact value of the measured quantity. Instead, the measurement yields a probability distribution of possible results.