In summary, the conversation was about completing an advanced higher physics investigation on measuring acceleration due to gravity for an oscillating mass on a spring experiment. The potential sources of error discussed were friction between the nail and oscillating rod, random uncertainties in measurements, calibration and scale reading errors, and swaying of the meter stick. However, there is still a need to consider other sources of loss and clarify the experiment and quantities being measured.
ah4p
completing my advanced higher physics investigation - measuring acceleration due to gravity
for the oscillating mass on a spring experiment

so far I have included friction between the nail & oscillating rod as a possible source of error

can anyone think of anything else?

thank you very much in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ah4p said:
completing my advanced higher physics investigation - measuring acceleration due to gravity

so far I have included friction between the nail & oscillating rod as a possible source of error

Welcome to the PF.

I can think of at least 2 more error sources. What do you think they are?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I can think of at least 2 more error sources. What do you think they are?

well I've obviously included random uncertainties in all measurements, and calibration & scale reading errors in all equipment used eg. metre stick, timer

I also said sometimes the metre stick will follow a slightly elliptical path due to swaying

I can't think of any more though

tah again :)

Not the two I was thinking of. What sources of loss can you think of...?

ah4p said:

What exactly is the experiment here? What quantities are you measuring? How does the spring come into play?

1. What is a compound pendulum experiment?

A compound pendulum experiment is a physics experiment that involves studying the motion of a rigid body that is free to rotate around a fixed axis, such as a pendulum that has a mass attached to its end. The experiment is used to measure the gravitational acceleration and other physical properties.

2. What are some possible sources of error in a compound pendulum experiment?

Some possible sources of error in a compound pendulum experiment include friction at the pivot point, air resistance, and systematic errors in the measurement of the pendulum's length or period. Other sources of error may include human error in recording data or inaccuracies in the equipment used.

3. How can friction affect the results of a compound pendulum experiment?

Friction at the pivot point can cause the pendulum to lose energy, which can affect the period and amplitude of the pendulum's motion. This can result in inaccurate measurements of the pendulum's length and gravitational acceleration.

4. How can air resistance impact the accuracy of a compound pendulum experiment?

Air resistance can cause the pendulum to experience drag, which can slow down its motion and also affect its period and amplitude. This can lead to inaccurate measurements of the pendulum's physical properties.

5. What can be done to minimize sources of error in a compound pendulum experiment?

To minimize sources of error in a compound pendulum experiment, it is important to carefully control and measure all variables, such as the length of the pendulum, the starting angle, and the timing of the pendulum's swing. Using high-quality equipment and reducing external factors, such as air resistance and friction, can also help to minimize sources of error.