Possible sources of error/uncertainty in bifilar pendulum?

In summary, during an AH physics investigation on measuring acceleration due to gravity, a bifilar suspension pendulum was used with a light gate. However, there were some difficulties in keeping the rod level and the two strings parallel. The uncertainties related to random, calibration, and scale readings were also mentioned. One potential error source could be the small angle assumption, which may not be strictly valid for larger angles. The individual is also trying to balance this investigation with an advanced higher bio investigation and a woodwork project.
ah4p
in my AH physics investigation - measuring acceleration due to gravity, I used the bifilar suspension pendulum btw a light gate was used

for the errors/problems section so far I have problems in making the rod level and keeping the two strings parallel, also all the random, calibration and scale reading uncertainties have been mentioned

I can't think of anything else??

trying to do my advanced higher bio investigation and woodwork project at the same time so need to get this done

thanks very much in advance :D

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably made some small angle assumptions. Those are strictly valid only for very small angles, so for angles large enough to measure easily, that is another error source.

1. What are some common sources of error in a bifilar pendulum experiment?

Some common sources of error in a bifilar pendulum experiment include air resistance, friction in the bearings of the pendulum, and human error in measurements.

2. How does air resistance affect the accuracy of a bifilar pendulum experiment?

Air resistance can affect the accuracy of a bifilar pendulum experiment by slowing down the pendulum's motion and reducing its amplitude. This can result in inaccurate measurements of the period and frequency of the pendulum.

3. How can friction in the bearings of the pendulum affect the results of an experiment?

Friction in the bearings of the pendulum can cause the pendulum to lose energy and slow down over time, resulting in inaccurate measurements of the period and frequency. It can also introduce random fluctuations in the pendulum's motion, making it difficult to obtain precise measurements.

4. What are some ways to reduce sources of error in a bifilar pendulum experiment?

To reduce sources of error in a bifilar pendulum experiment, you can use a high-quality, low-friction bearing for the pendulum, minimize air resistance by conducting the experiment in a vacuum or using a streamlined pendulum shape, and take multiple measurements to account for human error.

5. How can the length of the pendulum affect the uncertainty in the experiment?

The length of the pendulum can affect the uncertainty in the experiment by changing the period and frequency of the pendulum. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, making it more difficult to obtain precise measurements. Additionally, small variations in the length of the pendulum can have a significant impact on the period and frequency, leading to greater uncertainty in the results.