Post big bang matter/energy distribution

In summary, the matter and energy in the universe were not evenly distributed after the big bang. The initial fluctuations allowed for the collapse of hydrogen and the formation of stars and galaxies. The big bang did not occur in a perfect sphere, but rather as an infinite amount of dense and hot material expanding in all directions. There is no evidence of other branes affecting the expansion, and the rate of expansion has increased over time. It is believed that there is no center of the universe and that the hot dense material was infinite in extent.
jarroe
The matter/energy was not evenly distributed after the big bang is this correct? I like to think of the big bang as all matter/energy in a perfect sphere that explodes out perfect and symetrical, but the evidence proves otherwise I guess? Other branes pulling perhaps on our universe altered the expansion in different areas? The rate of expansion has increased over time making it difficult to extrapolate back as well I suppose?

Perhaps a supermassive black hole resides in the spot in our current universe where the big bang occurred due to its age and the probability that a lot of matter would have been in closer to the origin?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jarroe said:
The matter/energy was not evenly distributed after the big bang is this correct?

No, the fluctuations at the beginning of the universe were responsible for allowing the collapse of hydrogen by gravity to form the first stars and galaxies.

I like to think of the big bang as all matter/energy in a perfect sphere that explodes out perfect and symetrical, but the evidence proves otherwise I guess? Other branes pulling perhaps on our universe altered the expansion in different areas? The rate of expansion has increased over time making it difficult to extrapolate back as well I suppose?

Your view would be incorrect. There would be no sphere of finite size that contained the universe, but instead there would be an infinite amount of very dense very hot material in every direction. The expansion caused this material to become less dense and cool over time, eventually resulting in the universe as it is now. As for branes, there is no evidence of them so I can't say much on that.

[/quote] Perhaps a supermassive black hole resides in the spot in our current universe where the big bang occurred due to its age and the probability that a lot of matter would have been in closer to the origin?[/QUOTE]

Nope. We do not believe there is a center of the universe. The hot dense material of the early universe is believed to be infinite in extent and without a center. If you were to place yourself at ANY point in the early universe and watch as the expansion unfolds you would see that from every point you are at, everything else expands outward from you. Like raisins inside bread in an oven as it rises. The nearer ones move away from each other at a slower rate than the ones further away, yet no raisin ever gets closer to another raisin. (See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Raisinbread.gif) Remember, it's just an analogy. Obviously the raisin bread has an edge and a center, but we don't believe the universe does.

Thanks for the info! Hard to comprehend, but it I think I get it.

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific model that explains the origins of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How was matter and energy distributed after the Big Bang?

After the Big Bang, matter and energy were distributed evenly throughout the universe in a hot, dense state known as plasma. As the universe expanded and cooled, the matter and energy began to clump together, eventually forming stars, galaxies, and other structures.

3. What evidence supports the distribution of matter and energy after the Big Bang?

One key piece of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the hot plasma that filled the early universe. This radiation is observed to be almost perfectly uniform, supporting the theory of an initially homogeneous distribution of matter and energy.

4. How does the distribution of matter and energy after the Big Bang impact the formation of galaxies?

The distribution of matter and energy after the Big Bang played a crucial role in the formation of galaxies. As the universe expanded, regions with slightly higher concentrations of matter had a stronger gravitational pull, causing them to attract more matter and eventually form galaxies.

5. How do scientists study the distribution of matter and energy after the Big Bang?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the distribution of matter and energy after the Big Bang, such as telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also study the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe to gain a better understanding of the early universe and its evolution.