Potential at a Point: A Question of Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electric field and potential in a one-point charge system. The speaker initially thought the correct choice was d), but the solutions showed that it is actually b). This is because the potential at a point is determined by the work done by the electric field to transport a charge from infinity to that point, and if the field is zero, no work is done and the potential is also zero at that point. It is also mentioned that the value of the potential cannot be determined from the electric field at a single point, as the field only gives information about the derivative of the potential, not its value.
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
If the electric field created by a one-point charge system is zero:
a) The potential at this point is always negative.
b) The potential at this point can be of any value.
c) The potential at this point is always positive.
d) The potential at this point is zero.
Relevant Equations
Potential and electric field
I thought the right choice was d). But when it comes to the solutions, it is b) and I don't understand why.

My reasoning would be: the potential at a point is the work that the electric field does to transport a charge from infinity to that point, so if the field is zero, it does no work and therefore the potential at that point is also zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guillem_dlc said:
Homework Statement:: If the electric field created by a one-point charge system is zero:
This part of the problem statement is worded a little oddly to me. I think that it probably meant to say something like, "If the electric field created by a system of charges is zero at a certain point: "

So, I don't think it's saying that the electric field is zero everywhere. The field just happens to be zero at a specific point. Then you want to consider the value of the potential at that point.

Likes JD_PM, Orodruin and etotheipi
As to why (b) is correct: You can never tell the potential from the field at a single point. The field will only tell you about the derivative of the potential, not its value.

Likes JD_PM and jbriggs444

1. What is potential at a point?

Potential at a point is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is typically measured in volts (V).

2. How is potential at a point calculated?

The potential at a point can be calculated by dividing the electrical potential energy at that point by the amount of charge present. This can be represented by the equation V = U/Q, where V is the potential, U is the potential energy, and Q is the charge.

3. What is the difference between potential and potential energy?

Potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, potential is a property of the electric field, while potential energy is a property of the charged particle.

4. What is the relationship between potential and electric field?

The electric field is the gradient of the potential, meaning that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential. In other words, the electric field is the force per unit charge that a charged particle would experience at a given point in the electric field.

5. How does potential at a point affect the movement of charged particles?

The potential at a point determines the direction and speed of the movement of charged particles. Charged particles will always move from areas of higher potential to areas of lower potential, and the greater the potential difference, the faster the particles will move.