Potential Difference b/w concentric shells -- confusion

In summary, the principle of a generator is based on the fact that a conductor is an equipotential, so all charge on a conductor will go to its surface. When a charged conductor is placed inside the cavity of another conductor and a conducting path is provided to the wall of the cavity, the potential at the outer shell is calculated by adding the potentials due to both shells. However, the author in the book subtracted the potentials, which ultimately leads to the same result. This confusion is cleared by applying Gauss's Law and ensuring that the outer shell remains an equipotential.
IonizingJai

Homework Statement

:[/B]

This is isn't exactly a problem,but actually something i don't understand in the book i was following, so there this art. about 'Principle of a Generator', whose description is given as, " A generator is an instrument for producing high voltages in the MeV range.
Its design based on the principle that if a charged conductor (labeled A) is brought in contact with a hollow conductor (labeled B), all of its charge transfer to the hollow conductor no matter how high the potential of the later may be.
"

Homework Equations

I have added the supporting equations as attachments (images ).
Img1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_oNyWdSR2YDWiRMAoX8NY6OKrQJu5sEQ/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1_oNyWdSR2YDWiRMAoX8NY6OKrQJu5sEQ/view?usp=sharing
Img2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DbYC36dxTOJjGogU80YJgDt10EBlhRn8/view?usp=sharing
img3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hh0D-5kN1r2iy6BZ_s_-3Z-625aTuz8C/view?usp=sharing
img4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HrBINrhGZynXOi3McwwLtba2rfjdgbSs/view?usp=sharing

3. The confusion :
(check all images, mainly the 3 equations in them)

In those attached images, i think the the potential at shell A(1st equation i.e Va =) and B (second equation Vb =) must be the sum of potential due to shell A and B at the required shell (the shell for which we want to find the potential for/at ), so instead of taking difference while calculating the potential at shell A and B, we should simply add them, no ? (Assuming charges are positive or keeping them as variables, there really isn't any reason to assume otherwise ?)
But author has, subtracted charges i.e qa/ra -qb/rb.
I think we should have added them. (i.e qa/ra + qb/rb. )

I hope I'm not too confusing, I'm newbie and don't use internet much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The principle is quite simple and has to do with the fact that a conductor is an equipotential. If you place charge on a conductor, it all goes to the surface. This follows from Gauss's Law and the fact that the electric field inside a conductor is zero. When you have a charged conductor inside the cavity of another conductor and you provide a conducting path to the wall of the cavity, what do you get? Answer: A single conductor with a (differently shaped) cavity. All the charge on the inner conductor will go to the surface of the outer conductor otherwise the new composite conductor will not be an equipotential.

Likes IonizingJai
kuruman said:
The principle is quite simple and has to do with the fact that a conductor is an equipotential. If you place charge on a conductor, it all goes to the surface. This follows from Gauss's Law and the fact that the electric field inside a conductor is zero. When you have a charged conductor inside the cavity of another conductor and you provide a conducting path to the wall of the cavity, what do you get? Answer: A single conductor with a (differently shaped) cavity. All the charge on the inner conductor will go to the surface of the outer conductor otherwise the new composite conductor will not be an equipotential.

I understand that, but that is not what I'm confused about, I'm confused about what i have mentioned in my OP, i.e In those attached images, i think the the potential at shell A(1st equation i.e Va =) and B (second equation Vb =) must be the sum of potential due to shell A and B at the required shell (the shell for which we want to find the potential for/at ), so instead of taking difference while calculating the potential at shell A and B, we should simply add them, no ? (Assuming charges are positive or keeping them as variables, there really isn't any reason to assume otherwise ?)
But author has, subtracted charges i.e qa/ra -qb/rb.
I think we should have added them. (i.e qa/ra + qb/rb. )
I want to know what the author has written in the book is right (probably) and understand how ?
Anyway, thanks for replying.

OK, sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. If the outer shell has charge ##q_B## and the inner sphere has charge ##q_A##, then by Gauss's Law the electric field in region I (##r>r_B##) is ##E_I=k(q_A+q_B)/r^2##, which makes the potential ##V_I=k(q_A+q_B)/r##. Thus, the potential of the outer shell is $$V_B=k\frac{(q_A+q_B)}{r_B}.$$In region II ##(r_A<r<r_B)## the electric field is ##E_{II}=kq_A/r^2##. The potential is ##V_{II}=kq_A/r+C##, where ##C## is determined by making sure that the outer shell is an equipotential, namely ##V_I(r_B)=V_B.## Thus, $$k\frac{q_A}{r_B}+C=k\frac{(q_A+q_B)}{r_B}~\rightarrow C=k\frac{q_B}{r_B}$$
Therefore, $$V_{II}=k \left(\frac{q_A}{r}+\frac{q_B}{r_B} \right)~\rightarrow~V_A=k \left(\frac{q_A}{r_A}+\frac{q_B}{r_B} \right)$$which makes$$V_A-V_B=k \left(\frac{q_A}{r_A}-\frac{q_A}{r_B} \right)$$So the bottom line is the same, but not how one gets to it.

Likes IonizingJai
That's quite right !
i think i was way too lost in wondering why the author in the book wrote the equations the way he did, and i should have tried your line of approach(which i initially was saying saying should be correct) and didn't proceed further to subtract the equations of Va-Vb.

Thanks for the help !

1. What is the concept of potential difference between concentric shells?

Potential difference between concentric shells refers to the difference in electric potential between two conducting shells that are nested inside each other. This potential difference is created by the distribution of charges on the shells and can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where V is potential difference, k is a constant, Q is the charge on the shells, and R is the distance between the shells.

2. How is potential difference between concentric shells different from potential difference in a circuit?

Potential difference between concentric shells is different from potential difference in a circuit because it is not dependent on the flow of current. In a circuit, potential difference is created by the flow of electric charge, while in concentric shells, it is created by the distribution of charges on the shells themselves.

3. How do you calculate potential difference between concentric shells?

To calculate potential difference between concentric shells, you can use the formula V = kQ/R, where V is potential difference, k is a constant, Q is the charge on the shells, and R is the distance between the shells. Alternatively, you can also use the formula V = Ed, where E is the electric field strength between the shells and d is the distance between them.

4. What factors affect potential difference between concentric shells?

The potential difference between concentric shells is affected by two main factors: the charge on the shells and the distance between them. As the charge on the shells increases, the potential difference also increases. Similarly, as the distance between the shells increases, the potential difference decreases.

5. Can potential difference between concentric shells have a negative value?

Yes, potential difference between concentric shells can have a negative value. This occurs when the inner shell has a higher charge than the outer shell, resulting in a negative potential difference. However, it is important to note that potential difference is a relative quantity and the negative sign does not change the magnitude of the potential difference, only its direction.