Potential difference between plates

In summary, the electronic flash attachment for a camera contains a 705 µF capacitor with a potential difference of 320 V. Using the equation Energy=1/2CV^2, the energy used to produce the flash is 36.096 J. Assuming the flash lasts for 5.0 x 10^-3 s, the effective power of the flash is 7.2192 W.
kdrobey

Homework Statement

he electronic flash attachment for a camera contains a capacitor for storing the energy used to produce the flash. In one such unit, the potential difference between the plates of a 705 µF capacitor is 320 V.

(a) Determine the energy that is used to produce the flash in this unit. _____J
(b) Assuming that the flash lasts for 5.0 multiplied by 10-3 s, find the effective power or "wattage" of the flash. _______W

Homework Equations

Energy=1/2CV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

.5(7.05 x 10^-6 F)(320V)^2. this gave me .3606, which was not the correcct answer for part A

Physics news on Phys.org
kdrobey said:
.5(7.05 x 10^-6 F)(320V)^2. this gave me .3606, which was not the correcct answer for part A
Is the capacitance 705 µF or 7.05 µF?

it's 705 uF. i thought i was supposed to convert uF to F. (1F=10^-6uf?)

kdrobey said:
it's 705 uF. i thought i was supposed to convert uF to F. (1F=10^-6uf?)
Right. But you also "converted" 705 to 7.05 for some reason. :wink:

ohhh i see. so (705 x 10^-6)*(302)^2=36.096?

Yet another typo. Is it 302 V or 320 V?

1. What is "potential difference"?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the two points between which the potential difference is to be measured.

3. What causes potential difference between plates?

In an electric circuit, potential difference between plates is caused by the presence of a battery or power source, which creates an electric field that pushes charged particles (electrons) through the circuit, from the negative terminal to the positive terminal.

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of electrons?

Potential difference is what drives the flow of electrons (current) through an electric circuit. The higher the potential difference, the more electrons will flow through the circuit.

5. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the electron flow. It is important to note that the magnitude of the potential difference is what matters, not the sign.