Potential difference between two large plate changing with time

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity of an electron when it reaches the other plate in a system where the potential difference between two large parallel plates is varied according to V=at; with a being a positive constant and t being time. Using the equations for distance and velocity, and eliminating the time variable, the correct answer is found to be v=\left ( \frac{9eaL}{2m} \right )^{1/3}.
AGNuke
Gold Member
The potential difference between two large parallel plates is varied as V=at; a is a positive constant and t is time. An electron starts from rest at t=0 from the plate which is at lower potential. If the distance between the plates is L, mass of electron m and charge on electron -e then find the velocity of the electron when it reaches the other plate.

I attempted the question by equating the relation between time & velocity and time & distance.

[tex]A=\frac{Vq}{x}=\frac{eat}{mL}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{v}dv=\int_{0}^{t}{Adt} \Rightarrow v=\frac{eat^{2}}{2mL}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{L}dx=\int_{0}^{t}vdt+\int_{0}^{t}atdt \Rightarrow L=\frac{ea}{2mL}\int_{0}^{t}t^{2}dt+\frac{ea}{mL}\int_{0}^{t}t^{2}dt=\frac{eat^3}{2mL}[/tex]

Now dividing the cube of first equation with square of second equation, to eliminate the time, I got [tex]v=\left ( \frac{eaL}{2m} \right )^{1/3}[/tex]

Now my problem is that the answer stated is [tex]v=\left ( \frac{9eaL}{2m} \right )^{1/3}[/tex]

Any problems as for what I have done? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AGNuke! :smile:

I don't understand why you're integrating adt …
AGNuke said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{L}dx=\int_{0}^{t}vdt+\int_{0}^{t}atdt [/tex]

why not just use x = ∫vdt ? :confused:

Oops... my fault. I thought that since acceleration is also changing, I better write it too, but I forgot that I already made it up for it when writing v.

Thanks tim, I got my 9 in the place.

Related to Potential difference between two large plate changing with time

1. What is potential difference between two large plates changing with time?

Potential difference refers to the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. In the case of two large plates, it refers to the difference in electric potential between the positive and negative plates as they change over time.

2. How does the potential difference between two large plates change over time?

The potential difference between two large plates changes over time due to the movement of charges within the electric field. As the charges move, they create a changing electric potential between the plates, resulting in a changing potential difference.

3. What factors affect the potential difference between two large plates?

The potential difference between two large plates is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the amount of charge on each plate, and the material of the plates. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. How is the potential difference between two large plates measured?

The potential difference between two large plates can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electric potential difference between two points. It typically consists of two probes that are connected to the positive and negative plates, and a display that shows the measured potential difference.

5. Why is it important to understand potential difference between two large plates changing with time?

Potential difference between two large plates changing with time is important because it plays a crucial role in many electrical applications, such as circuits and power generation. It also helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with different materials. Additionally, understanding potential difference can help us troubleshoot and prevent potential problems in electrical systems.