Potential energy as a function of the square of this angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of converting potential energy as a function of 𝜃 to a function of 𝜃^2, as stated in the question. It is mentioned that the equilibrium point is at 𝜃=0 and the system is stable for R>b/2. The suggested solution involves using Taylor expansion of cos𝜃 and 𝜃sin𝜃 in U(𝜃) up to 𝜃^2. The answer to the question is provided, but the logic behind the method is not fully understood. The solution provided in the conversation is also inconsistent. A request is made to try again.
Tony Hau
Homework Statement
Define the angle measured from the vertical to the line connecting the center of the
circle and the contact point of cube to the circle as 𝜃. Expand the potential energy as
a function of 𝜃 to the second order; i.e. 𝜃^2, around its stable equilibrium for 𝑅 = 𝑏.
Relevant Equations
U(𝜃) = mgh(𝜃) = mg[(R+b/2)cos𝜃 +R𝜃sin𝜃]
The problem of my question is the b part below:
1585890029251.png

I know that the potential energy is just the gravitational potential energy, which is mgh(𝜃) = mg[(R+b/2)cos𝜃 +R𝜃sin𝜃], derived from the geometry. The equilibrium point is at 𝜃=0 and the system is a stable equilibrium for R>b/2. However, I have no idea how I can convert the potential energy as a function of the square of 𝜃, as stated by the question.

Attachments

• 1585890074811.png
    1585890074811.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 152
Physics news on Phys.org
Do Taylor expansion of
[tex]\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta \sin \theta[/tex]
in ##U(\theta)## up to ##\theta^2##.

mitochan said:
Do Taylor expansion of
[tex]\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta \sin \theta[/tex]
in ##U(\theta)## up to ##\theta^2##.
Thanks. It sounds reasonable! Here is the answer of the question. I am thinking why this method also works. Basically I don't quite get the logic behind. I know that the first order derivative of U is force. But I don't understand what 1/2 of the second order derivative represents.
1585900387935.png

Here is my solution for the two methods. They are inconsistent.

Attachments

• 2020-04-03 16.44.03.jpg
    2020-04-03 16.44.03.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 175
The both coincide in the exact calculation. Please try again.

Likes Tony Hau

1. What is potential energy as a function of the square of this angle?

Potential energy as a function of the square of this angle refers to the amount of energy an object possesses due to its position or orientation relative to a reference point. The square of the angle in this context represents the mathematical relationship between the object's position and its potential energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated using the square of this angle?

Potential energy is typically calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point. However, when dealing with angles, the equation may also include the square of the angle, such as PE = mgh(sinθ)^2, where θ represents the angle of the object's position.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and the square of this angle?

The relationship between potential energy and the square of this angle is a direct one. As the angle increases, the potential energy of the object also increases. This is because the object's position and orientation relative to a reference point play a significant role in determining its potential energy.

4. How does changing the angle affect potential energy?

Changing the angle can have a significant impact on potential energy. As the angle increases, the potential energy also increases, and as the angle decreases, the potential energy decreases. This is because the angle affects the object's position and orientation, which are key factors in determining potential energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of potential energy as a function of the square of this angle?

Some real-life examples of potential energy as a function of the square of this angle include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster going up and down hills, and a diver jumping off a diving board. In all of these cases, the potential energy of the object is affected by the angle of its position relative to a reference point.