Potential energy in Gauss' gun

In summary, Homework Statement: For my extended essay as part of the IB, I am investigating the effect of changing the distance and the number of stationary ball bearings in a Gaussian gun. I was hoping to look at the energy transfer during each stage of magnets and therefore calculate the efficiency. However, I am struggling to understand the equations for determining the potential energy. I understand that magnetic potential energy U can be found using U=-mB where m is the magnetic moment and B the magnetic field but I'm not sure if this would be correct for this application as it relates to the orientation of the diopole in relation to the field. I can't see how the ball bearing would have more potential energy in one orientation than the other
daisy3110

Homework Statement

For my extended essay as part of the IB, I am investigating the effect of changing the distance and the number of stationary ball bearings in a Gaussian gun.

I was hoping to look at the energy transfer during each stage of magnets and therefore calculate the efficiency. However, I am struggling to understand the equations for determining the potential energy.

I understand that magnetic potential energy U can be found using U=-mB where m is the magnetic moment and B the magnetic field but I'm not sure if this would be correct for this application as it relates to the orientation of the diopole in relation to the field.

I can't see how the ball bearing would have more potential energy in one orientation than the other as it is a soft magnet and therefore surely the regions of polarity would change? Could anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Homework Equations

U=-mB

The Attempt at a Solution

(Sorry it's all kind of in one part)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
daisy3110 said:

Homework Statement

For my extended essay as part of the IB, I am investigating the effect of changing the distance and the number of stationary ball bearings in a Gaussian gun.

I was hoping to look at the energy transfer during each stage of magnets and therefore calculate the efficiency. However, I am struggling to understand the equations for determining the potential energy.

I understand that magnetic potential energy U can be found using U=-mB where m is the magnetic moment and B the magnetic field but I'm not sure if this would be correct for this application as it relates to the orientation of the diopole in relation to the field.

I can't see how the ball bearing would have more potential energy in one orientation than the other as it is a soft magnet and therefore surely the regions of polarity would change? Could anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Homework Equations

U=-mB

The Attempt at a Solution

(Sorry it's all kind of in one part)
Could you post some links to the technical articles you have been reading about this? And by Gauss'/Gaussian Gun, you mean Coil Gun, right?

What do you mean about "orientation" of the steel ball bearing? And what do you mean about a dipole? Do you mean induced dipole from the gradient of the magnetic field leading into each coil stage?

berkeman said:
Could you post some links to the technical articles you have been reading about this? And by Gauss'/Gaussian Gun, you mean Coil Gun, right?

What do you mean about "orientation" of the steel ball bearing? And what do you mean about a dipole? Do you mean induced dipole from the gradient of the magnetic field leading into each coil stage?

There's not that much I can find about it online but https://www.wired.com/2011/12/does-a-magnet-gun-conserve-momentum is quite useful.
Yes, I do mean coil gun but using short bar magnets rather than coils.

I think what I meant by the orientation was that the definition of magnetic potential energy from the equation U=-mB relates to the alignment of a dipole in the presence of a magnetic field and the energy required to rotate it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_energy http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magpot.html .
berkeman said:
- yes I think that is what I mean
I think what I want is an equation that would give the potential energy a ball bearing would have as a result of being in the magnetic field in the same was as E = -GmM/r does for gravity.

Hope this makes some sort of sense! I'm only in year 12 in the UK so my knowledge of this area is really quite limited.

daisy3110 said:
Yes, I do mean coil gun but using short bar magnets rather than coils.
I didn't know that bar magnets could be used with a coil gun. But I'm certainly no coil gun expert. You would need to constrain the path of the short bar magnet so that it can't rotate as it travels down the length of the coil gun, it would seem. Some sort of a plastic barrel maybe?
daisy3110 said:
I think what I want is an equation that would give the potential energy a ball bearing would have as a result of being in the magnetic field in the same was as E = -GmM/r does for gravity.
I believe you can look at how magnetic solenoid actuators work (where energizing the coil pulls the metal shaft into the body of the coil. It is the gradient of the magnetic field that generates the force (at least when the ball bearing is not magnetized), AFAIK.

berkeman said:
I didn't know that bar magnets could be used with a coil gun. But I'm certainly no coil gun expert. You would need to constrain the path of the short bar magnet so that it can't rotate as it travels down the length of the coil gun, it would seem. Some sort of a plastic barrel maybe?

I believe you can look at how magnetic solenoid actuators work (where energizing the coil pulls the metal shaft into the body of the coil. It is the gradient of the magnetic field that generates the force (at least when the ball bearing is not magnetized), AFAIK.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. This is what I mean about how the gun works (sorry wasn't very clear)

Related to Potential energy in Gauss' gun

What is potential energy in Gauss' gun?

Potential energy in Gauss' gun refers to the stored energy that is present in the system of magnets and conductive rails. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when the trigger is pulled, causing the projectile to be launched.

How does a Gauss' gun work?

A Gauss' gun works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. When the first projectile is launched, it pulls a magnet along with it, causing a current to flow through the conductive rails. This current then creates a magnetic field that propels the next projectile forward, and the process repeats itself.

What factors affect the potential energy in Gauss' gun?

The potential energy in Gauss' gun is affected by the strength of the magnets, the distance between the magnets and conductive rails, and the mass of the projectile. Additionally, the number of stages in the gun and the efficiency of the conductive rails also play a role in determining the potential energy.

Can potential energy in Gauss' gun be increased?

Yes, potential energy in Gauss' gun can be increased by using stronger magnets, decreasing the distance between the magnets and conductive rails, and optimizing the design of the conductive rails. However, there is a limit to how much potential energy can be achieved due to factors such as the weight of the projectiles and the strength of the materials used.

What are the practical applications of Gauss' gun?

Gauss' gun has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and military technology. It can be used to demonstrate principles of electromagnetism, as well as to launch small projectiles at high speeds. In the military, it has been proposed as a possible alternative for traditional firearms due to its potential for reduced recoil and increased accuracy.