Potential energy in stretched spring

In summary, the potential energy stored in the spring with three masses removed is equal to 2/5 times the mass M, gravitational acceleration g, and length L. Despite the solutions manual stating that the answer is 4, your calculations and equations are correct and the actual answer should be 2/5 instead of 4.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Five identical masses of mass M are suspended by a spring stretched a distance of L. If three of the masses are removed, what is the potential energy stored in the spring?

1) (4 / 25) * M * g * L
2) (2 / 5) M * g * L^2
3) (5 / 2) * M g * L
4) (4 / 25 ) * M * g L^2
5) 5 * M * g * L

Homework Equations

Fspring = -k * x

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone. I get 2 to be the answer while my solutions manual says that 4 is correct. I suspect the solutions manual is wrong, but I wanted to get someone's opinion on this first.

So firstly, I got the value of the "K" for the spring:
Fspring = Fg of the masses

k * x = 5 * M * g

k = (5 * M * g) / LThen, I got the amount of stretch of the spring with only two masses.

Fspring = Fg of the masses

k * d = 2 * M * g

[ (5 * M * g) / L ] * d = 2 * M * g

solved for d = (2 /5 ) * L.

Then, I took equation Uspring = (1 / 2) * k * x^2.

I plugged the expressions for K and D for the stretch and I got the expression for answer 2.

Have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did the Physics correctly, But if you did your math correctly, you would have got 2MgL/5. None of the choices match that correct answer.

ohh yes, I got a single L, now that I remember, instead of L squared. Right. thanks

Related to Potential energy in stretched spring

1. What is potential energy in a stretched spring?

Potential energy in a stretched spring is the energy stored in the spring when it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. This energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy, which is released when the spring returns to its original shape.

2. How is potential energy related to the stretching of a spring?

The potential energy in a stretched spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression in the spring. The more the spring is stretched or compressed, the more potential energy it will have.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a stretched spring?

The potential energy of a stretched spring is affected by three main factors: the amount of stretch or compression, the spring constant, and the mass attached to the spring. A larger stretch or compression, a higher spring constant, and a heavier mass will result in a greater potential energy.

4. How is potential energy in a stretched spring used in everyday life?

Potential energy in a stretched spring is used in many everyday objects and devices, such as trampolines, door hinges, and shock absorbers. It is also used in many industrial and mechanical applications, such as in car suspensions and to power mechanisms in machines.

5. Can potential energy in a stretched spring be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy in a stretched spring can be converted into other forms of energy. When the spring is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its equilibrium position. This conversion can also be seen in devices like wind-up toys, where the potential energy in a compressed spring is converted into kinetic energy to make the toy move.