Potential Energy Stored in latex rubber

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a simple number to represent the potential energy stored in rubber, specifically for use in a rubber band "vehicle." The participants discuss various calculations and measurements that can determine this number, but also mention the non-linear behavior of rubber and the need for further research.
simon whitelock
I am looking for a simple number which is the potential energy that can be stored in rubber. ( Joules per gram or something similar ) I know there are a number of forms of rubber and I keep reading numerous articles on how to calculate the energy content of a rubber band.
Can anyone just tell me the number for typical rubber available commercially ??
I am building a rubber band "vehicle" and I am starting off with a test bed of one band approx 3m long made up of say 50 strands which will run as a model airplane would but driving the rear wheel. I can pretty much work out frictional losses through the drive system and what horsepower I need to get up to certain speeds but before I run the test vehicle on the road I would be interested to compare the theoretical number against that actually achieved.
There must also be a optimum diameter for the band itself expressed as a ratio to the length which I am trying to find out from the modelling world but if anyone has that number I would be grateful to hear it.

Thanks
Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just measure it.
If you know the force F (weight), and the change in length x, you can compute the Hooke's constant k.
F = -kx

From there you can compute energy: E = 0.5*kx^2

Energy per mass is just E/m. If you want a maximum, hang more and more weight from a rubber band, until it breaks.
Hope this helps.

Rubber typically doesn't follow Hooke's law. The observed rheological behavior of rubber is highly non-linear. You need to read some papers on the theory of rubber elasticity. Google Mooney-Rivlin equation.

Chet

It might not be linear, but you might be able to approximate. Plot weight vs stretch distance.

Don't use rubber bands. Google FAI competition rubber as used for model aircraft. Ditto lubricant. As i recall rubber improves as it is "run in".

1. What is potential energy stored in latex rubber?

Potential energy stored in latex rubber refers to the energy that is stored within the material due to its elastic properties. When the rubber is stretched or compressed, it stores potential energy that can be released when the force is removed.

2. How is potential energy stored in latex rubber calculated?

The amount of potential energy stored in latex rubber can be calculated using the formula: PE = (1/2)kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the rubber.

3. What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in latex rubber?

The amount of potential energy stored in latex rubber depends on the material's elasticity, the amount of stretching or compression, and the stiffness of the rubber. The more elastic and stiffer the rubber, the more potential energy it can store.

4. How is potential energy stored in latex rubber used in everyday life?

Potential energy stored in latex rubber is used in various everyday objects such as rubber bands, bungee cords, and elastic bands. It is also utilized in medical devices, sports equipment, and even in the production of latex gloves.

5. How can potential energy stored in latex rubber be converted into other forms of energy?

Potential energy stored in latex rubber can be converted into other forms of energy by releasing the force that is stretching or compressing the rubber. When the force is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which can be used to do work or generate electricity.