Potential of sphere in electric field

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding the potential and electric fields inside and outside of a sphere. The boundary conditions are solved to find the potential, and the resulting equations for the electric fields are provided for both cases when the surface charge density is equal to 3ε0E0 and when it is equal to -(εr-1)ε0E0. The question of how a conducting sphere behaves in an electric field is also brought up, and it is noted that the equations for the electric fields inside the sphere are different from the expected -E0rcosθ when the surface charge density is equal to 3ε0E0.
unscientific

Homework Statement

2hsc8cl.png

Part (a): Find potential inside the sphere and outside of the sphere.
Part (b): Find the electric fields in these two cases. Show for the first case it is identical to a conducting sphere in an electric field.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found potential inside and outside of sphere by solving the boundary conditions: ##\phi_in = \phi_out## and ##\epsilon_{r1} \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial \phi_{in}}{\partial r} - \epsilon_{r2} \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial \phi_{out}}{\partial r} = \sigma##:

[tex]\phi_{in} = - \frac{\sigma_0 + 3\epsilon_0\epsilon_{r2}E_0}{\epsilon_0 (\epsilon_{r1} + 2\epsilon_{r2})} r cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]\phi_{out} = \left[ -E_0 r + \frac{\left( E_0 \epsilon_0 (\epsilon_{r1} - \epsilon_{r2} \right) - \sigma_0}{\epsilon_0 (\epsilon_{r1} + 2\epsilon_{r2})} \frac{a^3}{r^2} \right] cos \theta [/tex]For ##\sigma_0 = 3\epsilon_0 E_0##:

[tex]E_{in} = -\nabla \phi_{in} = \frac{\sigma_0 + 3\epsilon_0\epsilon_{r2}E_0}{\epsilon_0 (\epsilon_{r1} + 2\epsilon_{r2})} cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{3E_0 + 3\epsilon_{r2} E_0}{\epsilon_{r1} + 2\epsilon_{r2}} cos \theta [/tex]

And for outside:
[tex]E_{out} = \left[ 1 + \frac{2(\epsilon_{r1} - \epsilon_{r2} - 3)}{\epsilon_{r1} + 2\epsilon_{r2}} \left( \frac{a}{r}\right)^3 \right] E_0 cos \theta [/tex]

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look out for?

For ##\sigma_0 = -(\epsilon_r -1)\epsilon_0 E_0##:

I'm assuming outside is free space with ##\epsilon_{r2} = 1##:

[tex]E_{in} = \frac{\sigma_0 + 3\epsilon_r E_0 \epsilon_0}{\epsilon_0 (\epsilon_r + 2} cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{1 - \epsilon_r + 3}{2 + \epsilon_r} E_0 cos\theta[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{4 + \epsilon_r}{2 + \epsilon_r} E_0 cos \theta [/tex]

For outside:
[tex]E_{out} = \left[ E_0 + \frac{2\left( E_0 \epsilon_0 (\epsilon_r - 1) - \sigma_0 \right)}{\epsilon_0 (\epsilon_r + 2)} \left( \frac{a}{r}\right)^3 \right] cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] = \left[ 1 + \frac{2(\epsilon_r - 1) + (\epsilon_r - 1)}{\epsilon_r + 2}\left( \frac{a}{r}\right)^3 \right] cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] = \left[ 1 + \frac{3(\epsilon_r - 1)}{\epsilon_r + 2} \left( \frac{a}{r}\right)^3 \right] cos \theta [/tex]

What's the deal with the conductor in an electric field?
I know that for a conducting sphere, the positive charges migrate to +z while the negative charges migrate to -z and they are all spread on the surface of the sphere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have searched and found online that when ##\sigma_0 = 3\epsilon_0 E_0##, the field inside would simply me ##-E_0 r cos \theta##.

This clearly isn't the case here, I'm not sure why!

1. What is the potential of a sphere in an electric field?

The potential of a sphere in an electric field is the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from infinity to a point on the surface of the sphere. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the potential of a sphere in an electric field calculated?

The potential of a sphere in an electric field can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point of interest.

3. Is the potential of a sphere in an electric field dependent on the size of the sphere?

Yes, the potential of a sphere in an electric field is directly proportional to the size of the sphere. This means that the larger the sphere, the greater the potential will be.

4. How does the potential of a sphere in an electric field change with distance from the center of the sphere?

The potential of a sphere in an electric field decreases as the distance from the center of the sphere increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, leading to a decrease in potential.

5. Can the potential of a sphere in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the potential of a sphere in an electric field can be negative. This occurs when the electric field points towards the center of the sphere, resulting in a negative value for potential. However, the magnitude of the potential is still dependent on the size of the sphere and the distance from the center.