Potential on each of these concentric spherical shells

In summary: Q)/r_1$$$$= 0$$Similarly, I think the potential on outer shell should be the algebraic sum i.e. ##V_2=V_{22}+V_{21} =\frac {-kQ}{r_2} + \frac {kQ}{r_2}## which is the sum of potential on outer shell due to outer shell and potential on outer shell due to inner shell.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
What would be the potentials ##V_1## and ##V_2## on the surface of the concentric conducting shells shown in diagram?
Relevant Equations
Potential at a point ##r_1## due to a point charge ##q## is ##V_1=\frac {kq} {{r_1}}##
Each spherical shell will contribute to potential on the surface of inner shell and the same will apply to outer shell.

Due to inner shell ##V_1 = \frac {kQ} {{r_1}}## and due to outer shell ##V_1 = \frac {-kQ} {r_1}##. Therefore potential on inner surface is zero.

But the answers are ##V_1 = \frac {kQ} {{r_1}}## and ##V_2 = \frac {-kQ} {{r_2}}## .

1638516104801974409618060706530.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
vcsharp2003 said:
due to outer shell ##V_1 = \frac {-kQ} {r_1}##.
What is the potential at the outer shell due to the outer shell?: How does potential vary inside an empty, uniformly charged, spherical shell?

Likes vcsharp2003 and Orodruin
haruspex said:
What is the potential at the outer shell due to the outer shell?: How does potential vary inside an empty, uniformly charged, spherical shell?

(1) At outer shell, ##V_2 = \frac {-kQ} {r_2}##

(2) For a charged spherical shell, the potential inside is constant since E=0 inside a spherical shell due to Gauss's law. Negative of voltage gradient gives us electric field and since E= 0 inside a spherical shell so voltage gradient must be zero inside the shell i.e. voltage is constant inside the shell. So, ##V_{inside}= V_2## where ##V_2## is potential on the surface of outer shell.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
What is the potential at the outer shell due to the outer shell?:

Will the charged inner shell also contribute to the potential on the outer shell?

vcsharp2003 said:
Will the charged inner shell also contribute to the potential on the outer shell?
Of course. The potential is the sum of the potentials of all charges.

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
(1) At outer shell, ##V_2 = \frac {-kQ} {r_2}##

(2) For a charged spherical shell, the potential inside is constant since E=0 inside a spherical shell due to Gauss's law. Negative of voltage gradient gives us electric field and since E= 0 inside a spherical shell so voltage gradient must be zero inside the shell i.e. voltage is constant inside the shell. So, ##V_{inside}= V_2## where ##V_2## is potential on the surface of outer shell.
Right, so the potential at the inner shell due to the charge on the outer shell is...?

haruspex said:
Right, so the potential at the inner shell due to the charge on the outer shell is...?

Since inner shell is inside the outer shell, so it must be ##V_{12} = \frac {-kQ} {r_2}##

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Also, I think the potential on inner shell should be the algebraic sum i.e. ##V_1= V_{11}+V_{12} = \frac {kQ}{r_1} + \frac {-kQ}{r_2}## which is the sum of potential on inner shell due to inner shell plus the potential on inner shell due to outer shell.

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
Also, I think the potential on inner shell should be the algebraic sum ##V_1+V_2## i.e ## \frac {kQ_1}{r_1} + \frac {-kQ_2}{r_2}## which is the sum of potential on inner shell due to inner shell plus the potential on inner shell due to outer shell.
Yes. But I find your ##V_1, V_2## notation confusing. You seem to use it sometimes for the net potential at a shell and sometimes for the potential at a shell due only to the charge on that shell.

Likes Orodruin and vcsharp2003
haruspex said:
Yes. But I find your ##V_1, V_2## notation confusing. You seem to use it sometimes for the net potential at a shell and sometimes for the potential at a shell due only to the charge on that shell.
Yes, you're right. I have changed my previous posts so the subscripts are like 11 or 12. 11 subscript would mean potential on inner shell due to inner shell and 12 would mean potential on inner shell due to outer shell.

Similarly, I think the potential on outer shell should be the algebraic sum i.e. ##V_2=V_{22}+V_{21} =\frac {-kQ}{r_2} + \frac {kQ}{r_2}## which is the sum of potential on outer shell due to outer shell and potential on outer shell due to inner shell.

It makes a lot of sense now. So, we can now say that $$V_1 -V_2$$
$$= ( \frac {kQ}{r_1} + \frac {-kQ}{r_2}) - (\frac {-kQ}{r_2} + \frac {kQ}{r_2})$$
$$= \frac {kQ}{r_1} - \frac {kQ}{r_2}$$

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
Similarly, I think the potential on outer shell should be the algebraic sum i.e. ##V_2=V_{22}+V_{21} =\frac {-kQ}{r_2} + \frac {kQ}{r_2}## which is the sum of potential on outer shell due to outer shell and potential on outer shell due to inner shell.
Which =0.

Likes vcsharp2003
haruspex said:
Which =0.
Yes. Did you mean that it's not correct result?

vcsharp2003 said:
Yes. Did you mean that it's not correct result?
The result is correct. It is just that it is very easy to simplify to zero. This is an important sanity check since the potential at the outer shell is quite clearly zero (with the charge disribution being spherically symmetric with no net charge, the field outside the outer shell must be zero - hence no potential).

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
It makes a lot of sense now. So, we can now say that $$V_1 -V_2$$
$$= ( \frac {kQ}{r_1} + \frac {-kQ}{r_2}) - (\frac {-kQ}{r_2} + \frac {kQ}{r_2})$$
$$= \frac {kQ}{r_1} - \frac {-kQ}{r_2}$$
You have a sign error in the last step.

Likes vcsharp2003
haruspex said:
You have a sign error in the last step.
Yes, thanks for pointing it out. I have corrected the post for this. Once again thanks for all your great help. My textbook didn't explain it like this but simply reached the final result of ##V_1- V_2## saying we can assume a spherical charged shell to be like a point charge at center. It didn't make any sense in the book.
CamScanner 12-04-2021 13.53.jpg

vcsharp2003 said:
we can assume a spherical charged shell to be like a point charge at center
That's true for both the potential and the field anywhere outside the shell.

Likes vcsharp2003
haruspex said:
That's true for both the potential and the field anywhere outside the shell.
The last part in the screen shot in post#17 that says "Thus," doesn't make sense to me, unless I am missing something.

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
The last part in the screen shot in post#17 that says "Thus," doesn't make sense to me, unless I am missing something.
You have not quoted q 24.4, nor its given solution, but if it finishes with your (corrected) equation in post #12 then it is just the same expression written without employing the 'k' abbreviation.

1. What is the formula for calculating the potential on a concentric spherical shell?

The formula for calculating the potential on a concentric spherical shell is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

2. How does the potential on a concentric spherical shell change as the distance from the center increases?

The potential on a concentric spherical shell decreases as the distance from the center increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, and potential is directly proportional to electric field strength.

3. Can the potential on a concentric spherical shell be negative?

Yes, the potential on a concentric spherical shell can be negative. This occurs when the charge on the shell is negative, and the potential is measured at a point inside the shell. In this case, the potential will be negative because the electric field points towards the negative charge.

4. How does the potential on a concentric spherical shell change when there are multiple shells with different charges?

The potential on each concentric spherical shell will depend on the charge of that particular shell, as well as the charges and distances of the other shells. The potential on each shell can be calculated separately using the formula V = kQ/r, and then added together to find the total potential at a given point.

5. What is the relationship between the potential on a concentric spherical shell and the electric potential energy?

The potential on a concentric spherical shell is directly proportional to the electric potential energy. This means that as the potential increases, so does the electric potential energy, and vice versa. The electric potential energy is given by the formula U = QV, where Q is the charge on the shell and V is the potential at that point.