Potential on merging water droplets

In summary, the given problem involves merging two identical water droplets with a uniform charge of 2.8 pC and a potential of 589 V on the surface. By conserving the total charge and volume, it is determined that the final radius of the merged droplet is 6.41 x 10^-5 m and the final potential is 785 V. However, this calculation is incorrect as the volume of a sphere is 4/3 π R^3, not 4/3 π r^3. By correcting this error, the final radius is found to be 4.27 x 10^-5 m and the final potential is 6.54 x 10^-13 V.
Alan I

Homework Statement

Suppose you have two identical droplets of water, each carrying charge 2.8 pC spread uniformly through their volume. The potential on the surface of each is 589 Volts.

Now, you merge the two drops, forming one spherical droplet of water. If no charge is lost, find the potential at the surface of this new large water droplet. in V.

Homework Equations

V = kQ/r
ρ=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I wasn't sure how to approach this problem so I assumed that the total volume will be conserved (since water is not compressible) and therefore if the volume of one initial droplet doubles after merging (V=2XV0) then the radius will increase by 1/2Xr0.

So by following that reasoning I got rfinal = 6.41 x 10-5 m

⇒ Vfinal = k*Qtotal / rfinal

⇒ Taking the total conserved charge to be Q1 + Q2 ⇒ (2)*(2.8 X 10-12) = 5.6 x 10-12 C

Plugging in all the values I got Vfinal = 785 V , and this result turned out to be wrong :oldfrown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at the value of the radius of the coalesced drop that you calculated.

The volume of a sphere is 4/3 π R3

Likes Alan I
gleem said:
I would look at the value of the radius of the coalesced drop that you calculated.

The volume of a sphere is 4/3 π R3

Thanks, now I see it.

So from Vdroplet = k (2.8x10-12)/r0,
I got r0 = 4.27 x 10-5

Plugged that in V0 = 4/3*π*(r0)3 and got V0 = 3.27 x 10-13

Now Volfinal = 2V0 = 6.54 x 10-13

⇒ 6.54 x 10-13 = 4/3*π*R3

⇒ R = (1.56 x 10-13)1/3

⇒ Vbig droplet = k Qtotal/R

Thanks!

1. What is the potential energy of merging water droplets?

The potential energy of merging water droplets is the energy required to bring the two droplets together and overcome the surface tension forces between them. This energy is dependent on the size and surface tension of the droplets.

2. How does the potential energy change during the merging process?

The potential energy decreases as the two droplets merge, as the surface area and surface tension forces decrease. The potential energy reaches its minimum when the two droplets fully merge into one larger droplet.

3. Can the potential energy of merging water droplets be calculated?

Yes, the potential energy can be calculated using the equation: PE = 2πrγ, where PE is the potential energy, r is the radius of the droplets, and γ is the surface tension between the droplets.

4. What other factors can affect the potential energy of merging water droplets?

Aside from droplet size and surface tension, other factors that can affect the potential energy include the velocity and angle at which the droplets collide, as well as the presence of any impurities in the water.

5. Why is understanding the potential energy of merging water droplets important?

Understanding the potential energy of merging water droplets is important for various scientific and practical applications, such as in the fields of fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, and industrial processes. It can also help us better understand and predict the behavior of water droplets in natural and man-made environments.