Potential of a Coalescing Water Droplet

In summary, the potential of the water droplets, when they coalesce, is 1000 times greater than the potential of the individual droplets.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

1000 spherical water droplets, each of radius rand each carrying a charge q, coalesce to form a single bigger spherical drop. If v is the electric potential of each droplet and V that of bigger drop, then find \fracV/v

Homework Equations

As water is a good conductor of electricity so charges on it will be distributed on the surface.So water droplet can be regarded as spherical shell
Potential due to spherical shell is kq/r. where k is constant and q is charge on the shell and r is the distance between the centre of spherical shell and point on which P is to be calculated

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unable to understand what is meant by the potential of water droplet.I know potential at a point due to point charge,system of charge and due to continuous charge distribution.But they are calculated at point,I mean we calculate potential at point due to different charge distributions.How can we calculate potential of a body!

I want to know what is meant by( " v is the electric potential of each droplet" )this line of the question.
In thus problem any specific point is not mentioned.
I started like this
potential of smaller drop kq/r
potential of bigger drop k1000q/r
What value of should we take.

Physics news on Phys.org
Satvik Pandey said:
I am unable to understand what is meant by the potential of water droplet.I know potential at a point due to point charge,system of charge and due to continuous charge distribution.But they are calculated at point,I mean we calculate potential at point due to different charge distributions.How can we calculate potential of a body!

I want to know what is meant by( " v is the electric potential of each droplet" )this line of the question.
In thus problem any specific point is not mentioned.
I started like this
potential of smaller drop kq/r
potential of bigger drop k1000q/r
What value of should we take.
Note that r was used as the radius of the small droplets.
You can take the potential at any distance larger than the radius of the big droplet. The ratio would be 1000.
Or you can take the potential at the surface of a droplet, than you have to find R, the radius of the bigger one.
But it would be of more sense to determine the ratio of the potential energies.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Note that r was used as the radius of the small droplets.
You can take the potential at any distance larger than the radius of the big droplet. The ratio would be 1000.
Or you can take the potential at the surface of a droplet, than you have to find R, the radius of the bigger one.
But it would be of more sense to determine the ratio of the potential energies.

ehild

but v/V is equal to 100 as given in book (answer)

Last edited:
Satvik Pandey said:
but v/V is equal to 100 as given in book (answer)

You mean V/v = 100 , don't you?

That means the ratio of the surface values of the potential. What is the radius of the big drop that consists of 1000 droplet, with respect to r, the radius of the small ones?

ehild

Yes I mean V/v.
So basically I need to consider surface values of potential.
Let the radius of smaller droplet be 'r' and bigger droplet be 'R'.
Vol. of smaller droplet=4/3*pi*r^3
Vol. of bigger droplet=4/3*pi*R^3
Vol.of smaller drop/Vol. of bigger droplet=1/1000
so r^3/R^3=1/1000 or R=10r.

What is the ratio of the surface potentials then?

ehild

Likes 1 person
It is 100(V/v)

Well done! :smile:

ehild

What is the potential of water droplets?

The potential of water droplets refers to the amount of energy that is stored within the droplets. This energy is due to the forces that hold the droplets together and the potential for them to change state, such as evaporating or freezing.

How does the potential of water droplets affect the behavior of water?

The potential of water droplets plays a significant role in the behavior of water. It determines how easily the droplets can move or change state, and also affects how they interact with other substances, such as when water droplets merge together or spread out on a surface.

What factors influence the potential of water droplets?

The potential of water droplets is influenced by several factors, including temperature, surface tension, and the presence of impurities or other substances. These factors can alter the energy and forces within the droplets, affecting their potential and behavior.

Why is understanding the potential of water droplets important?

Understanding the potential of water droplets is crucial in many fields of science and technology. It can help predict and explain natural phenomena, such as rain and cloud formation, and also has practical applications in areas like agriculture, engineering, and medicine.

Can the potential of water droplets be manipulated?

Yes, the potential of water droplets can be altered through various methods. For example, adding substances like soap or salt can change the surface tension and potential of the droplets, while adjusting the temperature can also impact their potential. These manipulations can have significant effects on the behavior of water droplets and their potential uses.