Potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the potential and electric field on the axis of a uniformly charged solid cylinder. The person initially attempted to solve the problem by setting up an integral over the volume, but their solution was marked incorrect. The correct solution involves first finding the potential of a singular disk and then integrating over the volume to find the complete potential of the cylinder. The conversation also addresses the direction of the electric field, with the person questioning why it points outward when the point is above one of the faces of the cylinder. The expert summarizer explains that the person may be confusing the infinite cylinder with the finite cylinder in this case.
acrimius

Homework Statement

Posting here because it was over a previous homework assignment and I don't understand the solution that was given out. For reference, the problem is 2.27 is Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. It reads "Find the potential on the axis of a uniformly charged solid cylinder, a distance z from the center. The length of the cylinder is L, its radius is R, and the charge density is ρ. Use your result to calculate the electric field and this point. (Assume z > L/2.)

Homework Equations

[/B]
V(r) = - (1/4πε_o) * ∫ (ρ(r')/(√(r-r'))) dτ'

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially when I had tried it, I just went straight for this integral over the volume, setting r' = s' s_hat + z' z_hat and r = z z_hat, and for a cylinder dτ' = s'ds'dφ'dz'. I set up the integral, it got messy, etc. It was very wrong essentially, marked "See Solutions" on my paper. In the solutions, the problem started with finding the potential of a singular disk, using the surface charge density, then after finding the potential for a singular disk, integrating again over the volume to find the complete potential of the cylinder at this point. My questions are:

1) Do you have to compute the potential from a single disk first? Or did I just compute/setup my integral incorrectly, and the solution is just a different way of doing this?

2) Normally when we talk about the electric field through a cylinder, we say that it points radially outward, and not through the faces. So why then, if this point is on the axis meaning above one of the faces, are we finding a nonzero potential and nonzero electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
acrimius said:
1) Do you have to compute the potential from a single disk first? Or did I just compute/setup my integral incorrectly, and the solution is just a different way of doing this?
You don't have to compute the potential from a charged disk first. Think about it. If you set up the triple integral correctly and you do the angular integral first, and then the radial integral you will be left with a single integral over z which is adding disks. So finding the disk potential first is the same as doing the triple integral in two steps.
acrimius said:
Normally when we talk about the electric field through a cylinder, we say that it points radially outward
It looks like you are confusing the infinite cylinder (or wire) with the finite cylinder. The latter is the case here.

Likes acrimius

What is the potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder?

The potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point on the axis of the cylinder. It is affected by the total charge of the cylinder and the distance from the point to the center of the cylinder.

How is the potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder calculated?

The potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder can be calculated using the equation V = kλ ln(r/R), where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the linear charge density of the cylinder, r is the distance from the point to the center of the cylinder, and R is the radius of the cylinder.

Does the potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder vary with distance?

Yes, the potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder varies with distance. As the distance from the point to the center of the cylinder increases, the potential decreases. This is because the electric field becomes weaker as the distance increases.

What happens to the potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder if the total charge or the radius of the cylinder changes?

If the total charge of the cylinder increases, the potential on the axis will also increase. Similarly, if the radius of the cylinder increases, the potential will decrease. This is because both the charge and the radius affect the electric field, which in turn affects the potential.

How does the potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder compare to the potential at other points?

The potential on the axis of a uniformly charged cylinder is typically different from the potential at other points. This is because the electric field and potential are not uniform throughout the cylinder. The potential on the axis is affected by both the charge and the distance from the center, while the potential at other points may also be influenced by the shape and orientation of the cylinder.