Potential Outside charged metal sphere in uniform E field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential outside a charged metal sphere in a uniform electric field. The solution involves using superposition and placing image charges within the sphere to satisfy the equipotential of the sphere's surface. The charge Q is placed at the center of the sphere, as any other location would disrupt the equipotential set up by the external field and image charges.
Jonathan K

Homework Statement

Find the potential outside a charged metal sphere (charge Q, radius R) placed in an otherwise uniform electric field E0. Explain clearly where you are setting the zero of potential.

2. The attempt at a solution
So for this problem I figured I could exploit superposition and take the potential outside a neutral sphere in a uniform field in the z direction. This potential is V1(r, θ) = -E0(r - R3/r2)cosθ. Then I figured I could simply use the potential outside a uniformly charged sphere of charge Q which would be V2(r, θ) = 1/4πε0Q/r. Then the solution would become V(r, θ) = V1(r, θ) + V2(r, θ) where the zero would have to be along the xy plane where r →∞ since, that is where the potential vanishes by inspection. The only hangup I am having here is whether I am using superposition correctly. Is my argument valid here?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the field the sphere cannot be uniformly charged - it's a conductor.

Simon Bridge said:
In the field the sphere cannot be uniformly charged - it's a conductor.
Hello Simon, I've been pondering over this one, too. Jon treats it as a superposition, so wouldn't that include the non-uniform charge redistribution to get the V1 ?

Jonathan K said:

Homework Statement

Find the potential outside a charged metal sphere (charge Q, radius R) placed in an otherwise uniform electric field E0. Explain clearly where you are setting the zero of potential.

2. The attempt at a solution
So for this problem I figured I could exploit superposition and take the potential outside a neutral sphere in a uniform field in the z direction. This potential is V1(r, θ) = -E0(r - R3/r2)cosθ. Then I figured I could simply use the potential outside a uniformly charged sphere of charge Q which would be V2(r, θ) = 1/4πε0Q/r. Then the solution would become V(r, θ) = V1(r, θ) + V2(r, θ) where the zero would have to be along the xy plane where r →∞ since, that is where the potential vanishes by inspection. The only hangup I am having here is whether I am using superposition correctly. Is my argument valid here?
I see nothing wrong with this approach.

One way to model the uniform E field is via two point charges of opposite polarity placed at + and - long distances from the sphere, and choosing q of each appropriately. In this way a uniform E field of any desired direction and magnitude can be modeled with just two point charges .

Then we take an uncharged sphere in this E field and place image charges within it arranged to satisfy the equipotential of the sphere's surface. Then, making the sphere charged just adds the extra point charge Q to the sphere's center. Then superposition is just adding the E fields due to the image charges (there are two of them) and extra charge Q, plus the two charges setting up the E field, all five of which being point charges and amenable to superposition.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Everybody lose interest? Too bad, I thought it was a good problem ...

Extra observation: how do we know placing the charge Q on the sphere will be at the center? Answer: because any other location would spoil the equipotential set up by the external E field and the image charges.

A charge Q on the sphere won't be at the center because it is "on the sphere".
Its not so much a matter of losing interest as a matter of no further comment from OP.

Simon Bridge said:
A charge Q on the sphere won't be at the center because it is "on the sphere".
Its not so much a matter of losing interest as a matter of no further comment from OP.
We are talking image charges here. One at the center = Q, the other two at distances +/- R^2/d from the center, d being the distance from the sphere to each of the charges setting up the external field. So, 5 image charges. Obviously, there are no charges within the sphere.

1. What is the concept of a potential outside charged metal sphere in a uniform electric field?

The concept refers to the potential energy that exists outside of a charged metal sphere when it is placed in a uniform electric field. This potential energy is a result of the interaction between the electric field and the charged metal sphere.

2. How is the potential outside a charged metal sphere affected by the strength of the electric field?

The potential outside the charged metal sphere is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the electric field becomes stronger, the potential outside the sphere also increases.

3. What is the relationship between the potential outside a charged metal sphere and the distance from the center of the sphere?

The potential outside the charged metal sphere is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases.

4. Can the potential outside a charged metal sphere be negative?

Yes, the potential outside a charged metal sphere can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the charge on the sphere have opposite directions, resulting in a negative potential energy.

5. How does the presence of other charged objects affect the potential outside a charged metal sphere in a uniform electric field?

The potential outside the charged metal sphere can be affected by the presence of other charged objects in the electric field. This is because the electric field from the other objects can either add or subtract from the uniform electric field, resulting in a change in the potential energy outside the sphere.