POVMs for Infinite Dimensional Hilbert Spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of POVMs and their applications in quantum physics. The participants mention the use of Arthurs-Kelly measurements and the possibility of constructing a POVM that measures position and momentum simultaneously. They also discuss the relevance of finite dimensions in POVMs and the paper "Quantum Physics via Quantum Tomography" by A. Neumaier.
jbergman
TL;DR Summary
Most discussion of POVM focus on examples on finite-dimensional Hilbert Spaces. How do we construct a POVM for multiple observables with continuous spectrum?
After reading up on some of the discussion in the Quantum Interpretations forums, I became interested in learning more about POVMs.

However, most of the examples are from the finite dimensional setting. If I wanted to model a POVM that approximately measures position and momentum simultaneously, how would I construct such a POVM?

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
See Part IV https://journals.aps.org/pra/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevA.87.062112.

Likes vanhees71 and jbergman
You could search for "Arthurs-Kelly" measurements.

Focusing in Arthurs-Kelly-type Joint Measurements with Correlated Probes
Thomas J Bullock, Paul Busch
https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.5840

Simultaneous weak measurement of non-commuting observables: a generalized Arthurs-Kelly protocol
Maicol A. Ochoa, Wolfgang Belzig & Abraham Nitzan
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-33562-0

Likes jbergman, vanhees71 and Demystifier
Likes mattt, Demystifier, Haborix and 1 other person
Since measurements always produce discrete results, finite dimensions are quite appropriate for POVMs in practice; see the paper accompanying my Insight article Quantum Physics via Quantum Tomography.

Many examples of POVMs in infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces arise from them by taking a continuum limit.

Likes atyy, gentzen, Demystifier and 2 others
A. Neumaier said:
Since measurements always produce discrete results, finite dimensions are quite appropriate for POVMs in practice; see the paper accompanying my Insight article Quantum Physics via Quantum Tomography.
A finite valued POVM isn't the same as a POVM that acts on state vectors in finite dimensional Hilbert space is it?

For instance, if I want to measure a discrete position value.

Likes Demystifier
jbergman said:
A finite valued POVM isn't the same as a POVM that acts on state vectors in finite dimensional Hilbert space is it?
Yes, there is a difference. But for finite valued POVMs, the (finite or infinite) dimension of the Hilbert spaces does not really figure in the formalism.
jbergman said:
For instance, if I want to measure a discrete position value.
In this case you first need to define what you mean by discrete position. Maybe you find the setting in Sections 3.3-4 of my quantum tomography paper
  • A. Neumaier, Quantum mechanics via quantum tomography, Manuscript (2022). arXiv:2110.05294v3
convincing.

1. What are POVMs for Infinite Dimensional Hilbert Spaces?

POVMs (positive operator-valued measures) are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to describe the measurement process. They are a generalization of the more commonly known projection-valued measures (PVMs) and are used to describe measurements in infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces, which are spaces that have an infinite number of dimensions.

2. How do POVMs differ from PVMs?

POVMs differ from PVMs in that they allow for more general measurements, including measurements with continuous outcomes. PVMs, on the other hand, only allow for discrete outcomes. Additionally, POVMs can be used to describe measurements in infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces, whereas PVMs are limited to finite dimensional Hilbert spaces.

3. What is the significance of using POVMs in infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces?

Infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with an infinite number of degrees of freedom, such as fields or continuous variables. Using POVMs allows for a more accurate description of measurement outcomes in these systems, as they can account for continuous outcomes.

4. How are POVMs applied in quantum mechanics?

POVMs are used in quantum mechanics to describe the measurement process. They provide a mathematical framework for calculating the probability of obtaining a certain measurement outcome, as well as the corresponding state after the measurement. POVMs are also used in quantum information theory, where they play a crucial role in quantum state discrimination and quantum error correction.

5. Are there any challenges in using POVMs for infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces?

Yes, there are several challenges in using POVMs for infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces. One of the main challenges is that the mathematical calculations involved become more complex as the dimension of the Hilbert space increases. Additionally, there are certain technical difficulties in defining and manipulating POVMs in infinite dimensional spaces. However, these challenges can be overcome with proper mathematical techniques and tools.