Powder coating: way to add more positive charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of powder coating at home and the challenges of using a cheaper powder coating gun. The article mentioned may provide helpful information on features that can enhance the charge for a better coating. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of thermoset plastic and the necessary equipment and techniques for successful powder coating.
stryped
TL;DR Summary
Powder coating
I am thinking of powder coating at home. I know the part to be coated is negatively charged because it is grounded. I assume the powder is positively charged by the gun. I wonder if there is a way to add more positive charge cheaply to an inexpensive gun like the one at harbor freight? I think this is one of the drawbacks of a cheaper made gun. Could some sort of static charge be added?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use to work in a powder coat factory, spray on powder is thermoset plastic. Hot oven melts plastic to clean metal parts. You can order powder any bake temperature you like. I think the lowest bake temperature is about 350°f. We used 540°f power. Metal parts are electrically charged + & - to make powder attracted to parts. Call PPG they sell powder, they will mail you 1 lb free samples. House is none conductive how will you make powder stick and how will you bake your house in an oven? Heat gun will take years.

Last edited:

1. What is powder coating?

Powder coating is a method of applying a dry powder paint to a surface using electrostatic charge. The powder particles are attracted to the surface and then heated to form a durable, protective coating.

2. How does powder coating add more positive charge?

Powder coating adds more positive charge by using electrostatic attraction. The powder particles are given a positive charge and then attracted to the negatively charged surface, resulting in a more evenly distributed and thicker coating.

3. What are the benefits of using powder coating?

Powder coating offers several benefits, including a more durable and long-lasting finish, environmental friendliness (as it does not use solvents), and a wide range of color and texture options.

4. What surfaces can be powder coated?

Almost any material that can hold an electrostatic charge can be powder coated, including metal, wood, and plastic. However, the surface must be able to withstand the high temperatures used in the curing process.

5. Is powder coating safe for the environment?

Yes, powder coating is considered to be environmentally friendly as it does not contain harmful solvents and produces very little waste. The overspray can also be collected and reused, reducing waste even further.