Powder XRD sample prep question

In summary, the conversation discusses using XRD to study plant skins before and after chemical treatments. There are concerns about reproducibility and the possibility of environmental or chemical changes affecting the results. The speaker suggests leaving the sample on the XRD machine and remeasuring over multiple time intervals to potentially observe systematic changes.
xrdquestionperson
Hello, I have an unusual case in that I am using XRD to study plant skins before and after certain chemical treatments. So the resulting pattern will have a lot of amorphous regions but also some characteristic peaks showing the presence of fatty acids, etc.

Basically I grind everything to a fine powder and pass it through a sieve and use a glass sample holder to run the experiments. However- and this has happened more than once- I get terrible reproducibility; running the same sample under the same conditions gives me wildly different results on different days, some peaks are missing, etc.

I'm new to the technique so maybe there is something I'm missing because I was trained to just put a thin layer of the powder on the sample holder (glass slide, essentially) without anything to hold it in place and to smooth it out with a spatula until it's more or less evenly distributed. I run the tests in ambient conditions if that makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps reaction with the environment or maybe the chemical treatment operates over different time scales. Either could result in breaking down or modifying the chemical structure which would result in a different peak structure. Can you leave the sample on the XRD machine and remeasure over multiple time intervals over the course of a day or two? Perhaps you can see a systematic change as a function of time.

Likes pangru

What is Powder XRD sample preparation?

Powder X-ray diffraction (XRD) sample preparation is the process of preparing a powdered sample for analysis using X-ray diffraction techniques. This involves grinding the sample into a fine powder, pressing it into a thin film, and mounting it onto a sample holder for analysis.

Why is sample preparation important in Powder XRD?

Sample preparation is crucial in Powder XRD because it ensures that the sample is in a suitable form for analysis. A well-prepared sample will produce accurate and reliable results, while a poorly prepared sample can lead to incorrect or inconclusive data.

What are the common methods for Powder XRD sample preparation?

The most common methods for Powder XRD sample preparation include grinding the sample with a mortar and pestle, pressing the sample into a thin film using a hydraulic press, and mounting the sample onto a sample holder using a binder such as wax or adhesive tape.

How do I choose the appropriate sample preparation method for my sample?

The appropriate sample preparation method will depend on the properties of your sample, such as its hardness, brittleness, and chemical composition. It is important to consult the instrument manual and consider the recommendations of experienced users when selecting a sample preparation method.

What are some tips for achieving optimal sample preparation for Powder XRD?

To achieve optimal sample preparation for Powder XRD, it is important to use a representative sample, ensure the sample is finely ground and homogenous, and carefully handle and mount the sample to avoid introducing any artifacts. It is also recommended to clean the sample holder and instrument between each analysis to prevent contamination.