Grain size estimation in glacing angle XRD

In summary, when using XRD to calculate grain size, it is important to measure in theta-2theta mode and not in glancing angle mode to avoid inaccurate results.
zhanghe
Hello everyone,

I met a problem in XRD. Using theta-2theta mode I can not find crystalline peaks in my thin film sample because most within it is amorphous phase. However, I get three clear peaks using the glacing mode,i.e. theta-theta mode. Now i want to calculate the grain size in terms of Scherrer equation, May I use the FWHM from the glacing angle results?
they told me the FWHM is not correct in the glacing mode,because the silt is varying bla bla.., so I think, the Beta in Scherrer equation is the change between crystalline powder and my sample, maybe I should measure a crystalline powder sample in glacing angle, and then comparing them, I can get the grain size, Am I right?

zhanghe

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you cannot use the FWHM from the glancing angle results to calculate grain size. The peak width in glancing angle mode is a function of both the crystallite size and the preferred orientation of the grains in the sample. Therefore, the peak broadening due to strain and preferred orientation cannot be separated from the peak broadening due to crystallite size. To accurately measure grain size, you need to measure the peak width in the theta-2theta mode, which is not affected by strain and preferred orientation.

1. What is grain size estimation in glancing angle XRD?

Grain size estimation in glancing angle X-ray diffraction (XRD) is a technique used to determine the average size of crystals or grains in a material. It involves analyzing the diffraction patterns produced by X-rays as they interact with the crystal lattice of a sample at a glancing angle.

2. How does glancing angle XRD differ from traditional XRD?

Traditional XRD measures the diffraction patterns at a perpendicular angle to the sample's surface, while glancing angle XRD measures the patterns at a non-perpendicular angle. Glancing angle XRD can provide more information about the crystal size and orientation of thin films or materials with a non-uniform surface.

3. What factors affect grain size estimation in glancing angle XRD?

The most significant factors that affect grain size estimation in glancing angle XRD include the angle of incidence of the X-rays, the wavelength of the X-rays, and the material's orientation and microstructure. The type of X-ray source and the detector used can also influence the accuracy of the measurements.

4. What are the limitations of grain size estimation in glancing angle XRD?

One of the main limitations of glancing angle XRD is that it is only suitable for materials with a uniform thickness and a smooth surface. It may also have difficulty differentiating between different crystal orientations within the sample. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by instrumental factors and the assumptions made in the analysis.

5. How is grain size estimation in glancing angle XRD useful in materials science?

Grain size estimation in glancing angle XRD is a valuable tool for characterizing the microstructure of thin films and surfaces, which has numerous applications in materials science. It can help researchers understand the growth and properties of thin films, identify defects and impurities, and optimize processes for thin film fabrication. It is also useful for quality control and failure analysis in industrial settings.