Power and Mass Question -- A helicopter accelerating and ascending

In summary: The value for Eki is still a puzzle. I don't think we can write much of a summary for this conversation without further clarification.In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the potential and kinetic energies of a helicopter, using equations such as mgh and 1/2 mv^2. There were some discrepancies in the provided values for Eki, and it was suggested that the OP show their work and include units for each calculation for better understanding and accuracy. Further clarification is needed in order to fully summarize the conversation.
yamm14
Homework Statement
A helicopter initially moving at 20m/s at a height of 50m above the ground accelerates to a speed of 41m/s and a height of 1300m in 140s. The power output of the helicopter is measured to be 460000W. What is the mass of the helicopter?
Relevant Equations
Power=change in energy/time or work/time
Potential Energy = (mass)(gravity)(height)
Kinetic Energy = (1/2)(mass)(speed squared)
Initial Energy = Final Energy
Total Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy
I started with calculating the Ep and Ek of the helicopter and got this:
Epi = 490m Eki= (1/2)(400m)
Epf = 12740m Ekf = (1/2)(1681m)

I don't really know where to go from there. Do the unknown mass variables cancel out? I'm lost!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have most of what you need in your post of the Relevant Equations (thank you for being so complete). What are the initial KE and PE of the craft? And the final values? Then what should you do? :smile:

okay, I used the power = change in energy/time equation and got this:

Ei = 510m
Ef = 13580.5m

Change in energy = 13070.5m

460000 = 13070.5m/140s
460000 = 93.4m
m = 4925.1kg

I'm not sure if this is right.

yamm14 said:
okay, I used the power = change in energy/time equation and got this:

Ei = 510m
Ef = 13580.5m

Change in energy = 13070.5m

460000 = 13070.5m/140s
460000 = 93.4m
m = 4925.1kg

I'm not sure if this is right.
Sorry, that makes no sense from the units perspective. Energy is measured in Joules, not in meters. Potential energy depends on mgh (what units for each?), and kinetic energy depends on mv^2/2 (what units for each?). Can you please post corrected equations and carry units in each calculation? That's the best way to keep your work organized and consistent. Thanks.

I suspect that the m's in the OP's equations are meant to represent the unknown mass of the helicopter, rather than meters. Although, I don't understand the values that he's arrived at. Definitely some clarification of the method used is needed.

Likes berkeman
yamm14 said:
I started with calculating the Ep and Ek of the helicopter and got this:
Epi = 490m Eki= (1/2)(400m)
Epf = 12740m Ekf = (1/2)(1681m)
As others have suggested - show your work. Quoting numbers without explaining how you obtained them does not let us spot errors.

That said, let us try to reconstruct things.

Initial potential energy (Epi) = 490m. That looks like mgh where g = 9.8 m/s2 and h = 20 meters. Sounds right.

Initial kinetic energy (Eki) = 1/2 400m. That looks like 1/2 mv2 where v = 20 m/s2. Again, that sounds right.

Final potential energy = 12740m. That looks like mgh where g = 9.8 m/s2 and h=1300 meters. Good.

Final kinetic energy = 1/2 1681m. That looks like 1/2 mv2 where v = 41 m/s2. Good.

So we can erase the doubts about how those figures were arrived at.

jbriggs444 said:
So we can erase the doubts about how those figures were arrived at.

If the OP doesn't show the work, I think not.

1. How does power affect a helicopter's acceleration?

The amount of power produced by a helicopter's engine directly influences its acceleration. The more power the engine produces, the faster the helicopter will accelerate. This is because the engine's power is used to rotate the helicopter's rotor blades, creating lift and allowing the helicopter to ascend.

2. What is the relationship between power and mass in a helicopter?

In a helicopter, power and mass have an inverse relationship. As the mass of the helicopter increases, more power is needed to lift and accelerate it. This means that a heavier helicopter will require a more powerful engine to achieve the same level of acceleration as a lighter helicopter.

3. How does a helicopter's ascent affect its power consumption?

Ascending requires more power than maintaining a steady altitude in a helicopter. This is because the helicopter must work against gravity to gain altitude. As a result, the helicopter's power consumption will increase during the ascent phase.

4. What are the factors that determine a helicopter's acceleration and ascent capabilities?

The main factors that determine a helicopter's acceleration and ascent capabilities include its engine power, rotor design, and weight. A more powerful engine and efficient rotor design will allow for faster acceleration and ascent, while a heavier weight will require more power and may limit these capabilities.

5. How does air density affect a helicopter's performance during acceleration and ascent?

Air density plays a significant role in a helicopter's performance during acceleration and ascent. A higher air density means the air is more "thick," providing more lift for the rotor blades and allowing the helicopter to accelerate and ascend more quickly. On the other hand, lower air density, such as at high altitudes, will result in reduced lift and may limit the helicopter's acceleration and ascent capabilities.