Power Calculation for Ski-Elevator: Double Check My Work for Accuracy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ski-elevator and the calculations for the work and power required to operate it. The individual asking for help has made assumptions and performed calculations, resulting in a work of 82.9 kJ and a power of 56.52 kW. They are unsure if their assumptions and calculations are correct and if 56.52 kW is a reasonable amount of power for 60 skiers at the same time.
Latsabb
I don't feel all the way safe with my knowledge of power and work, so I am basically asking for someone to take a look at my work, and see if I am off base or not.

Here is the problem (of which I do not know the answer to):

A ski-elevator consists of a rope that skiers hold on to. The rope drags the skiers up a 250m long hill, with a 25 degree slope. The rope moves at a constant speed of 10 km/h. Assume no friction.

a) How large is the work done by the rope on the skier with a mass of 80kg that is pulled to the top?

b) The motor must generate enough power to drag 60 skiers to the top at the same time. How much power must the motor generate?

What I have done:
a) Since there is no friction, and no acceleration of the rope, I assume that the only work being done is going to provide potential energy. I draw a triangle, with hypotenuse of 250m, and a 25 degree angle, and say that 250*sin(25) is then equal to the elevation, which is 105.7m. Ep=mgh, where m=80, g=9.8 and h=105.7, and get that Ep=82.9 kJ= Work done.

b) I assume that all skiers weigh the same, meaning that each skier requires 82.9 kJ, multiplied by 60, and I get 4974 kJ of work total. Since W=F*s, I assume that 4974=F*105.7, or that F=47.1 kN. The force is at a 90 degree angle, so I need the speed component that is also at 90 degrees. I convert 10km/h to 2.8 m/s, and draw a triangle with a hypotenuse of 2.8 and an angle of 25 degrees. Vertical velocity is then equal to 2.8*sin(25) which is 1.2 m/s.

P=F*v, with F being 47.1 kN and v=1.2 m/s, so 47.1*1.2=56.52 kW.

Have I made the correct assumptions here? Or is there a flaw in my logic/calculations? Maybe it is just me, but it just seems like 56.52 kW is a bit high...

Physics news on Phys.org
At the moment, I can't see a problem with your calculations. 56kW seems a bit low for 60 at the same time, but with no friction, it could work.

1. What is a power calculation?

A power calculation is a statistical analysis used to determine the sample size needed for a study to detect a meaningful effect or difference between groups. It takes into account factors such as the desired level of significance, effect size, and statistical power to determine the appropriate sample size.

2. Why is power calculation important in research?

Power calculation is important in research because it ensures that the study has enough statistical power to detect a meaningful effect. Without an appropriate sample size, the study may not have enough power to detect a significant difference, leading to inconclusive or unreliable results.

3. How do you perform a power calculation?

To perform a power calculation, you need to determine the desired level of significance (usually set at 0.05), the effect size (the magnitude of the difference between groups), and the statistical power (usually set at 0.80). These values are then entered into a power calculator or statistical software to determine the appropriate sample size.

4. What factors can affect the power calculation?

There are several factors that can affect the power calculation, including the level of significance, effect size, and statistical power. Other factors that may impact the power calculation include the study design, data variability, and potential confounding variables.

5. Can power calculations be performed after data collection?

Ideally, power calculations should be performed before data collection to determine the appropriate sample size. However, if the sample size was not determined beforehand, it is still possible to perform a post-hoc power analysis using the collected data. However, the results may not be as accurate as a pre-planned power calculation and should be interpreted with caution.