Power Dissipated In a Linear Damper

In summary, when calculating power dissipated in a linear damper and input power for a system, it is important to use RMS values in the integration calculation for accurate results.
syberraith
Hello,

I have a question about power dissipated in a linear damper. I know that power is equal to force times velocity, and that force is equal to the damper coefficient times velocity.

What I have to work with is the coefficient and the velocity of the damper, so the instantaneous power dissipated in the damper is the coefficient times the the square of the velocity.

My question is when integrating for power dissipated over an interval of time, should I calculate for a RMS value, or would a simple integration of C * V^2 be appropriate?

This question also applies to the systems input power, which would be calculated from torque times angular velocity. Again would an RMS or a simple figure be the proper choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your help. The power dissipated in the damper is a function of the damping coefficient and velocity. To calculate the power over an interval of time, you would need to integrate the damping coefficient times the square of the velocity. This calculation should be done using RMS values, as this will give you an accurate representation of the power dissipation over the given period of time. For the systems input power, you would need to calculate the torque times angular velocity, again using RMS values to get an accurate representation of the input power over the given period of time.

1. What is power dissipated in a linear damper?

Power dissipated in a linear damper refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat as a result of the damper's resistance to motion.

2. How is power dissipated in a linear damper calculated?

The power dissipated in a linear damper can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the damper by the velocity of the damper. This is known as the power equation: P = F x v.

3. What factors affect the power dissipated in a linear damper?

The power dissipated in a linear damper is affected by the damping coefficient, the mass of the object being damped, and the velocity of the object.

4. What is the relationship between power dissipated and the damping coefficient?

The power dissipated in a linear damper is directly proportional to the damping coefficient. This means that as the damping coefficient increases, so does the amount of power dissipated.

5. How does power dissipated in a linear damper impact the performance of a system?

The power dissipated in a linear damper can affect the performance of a system by reducing the amplitude of oscillations and preventing damage from excessive motion. It also helps to dissipate excess energy, which can improve the stability and control of the system.