How Does a Lightbulb's Resistance Impact Its Power Consumption?

In summary, when the light bulb is cold, its power rating is meaningless. However, when the bulb is at operating conditions, its power rating is quite different depending on the voltage it is operated at.
skepticwulf

Homework Statement

A 100-W, 120-V lightbulb has a resistance of 12 ohm when cold (20°C) and 140 ohm when on (hot). Calculate its power consumption (a) at the instant it is turned on, and (b) after a few moments when it is hot.

Homework Equations

P=IV, P=I^'R, P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok obvious solution is P=120^2/12 and P=120^2/140.
BUT,
When I calculate I(current) from first R value, I=Sqroot(P/R), it's 2,9 Amp
If I want to confirm the power by multiplying that to 120V by P=IV, the figure is 351W!
Why is this discrepancy ?

Physics news on Phys.org
When cold Ic = sqrt(P/R) = sqrt(1202/12x12) = 120/12 =10 A

resistance is 12 ohm. why did you put (12x12) ??

P = 1202/12 watt, which gets divided by R under the root.

skepticwulf said:

Homework Statement

A 100-W, 120-V lightbulb has a resistance of 12 ohm when cold (20°C) and 140 ohm when on (hot). Calculate its power consumption (a) at the instant it is turned on, and (b) after a few moments when it is hot.

Homework Equations

P=IV, P=I^'R, P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok obvious solution is P=120^2/12 and P=120^2/140.
BUT,
If I want to confirm the power by multiplying that to 120V by P=IV, the figure is 351W!
Why is this discrepancy ?
I suggest that an important main point in having you do this exercise, is to show you that when the bulb is cold, that power rating is meaningless. -- It only pertains to the bulb when it's at operating conditions.

In fact, the listed power rating is only for that particular voltage. Even if you assume that the temperature, and thus the resistance, is fairly constant near normal operating temperatures, You will find that the power consumption will be quite different, if operated at 110 V or 125 V rather than the rated voltage of 120 V.

skepticwulf said:
Ok obvious solution is P=120^2/12

So P=1200W

skepticwulf said:

You made an error somewhere..

I = Sqrt (P/R)
= Sqrt (1200/12)
= 10A

Thank you.

1. What is the power of a lightbulb?

The power of a lightbulb is a measure of the amount of energy it consumes in order to produce light. It is typically measured in watts (W) and can range from a few watts for a small bulb to several hundred watts for a large bulb.

2. How is the power of a lightbulb determined?

The power of a lightbulb is determined by measuring the amount of energy it consumes over a certain period of time. This can be done using a wattmeter or by calculating the power based on the voltage and current of the bulb.

3. What factors affect the power of a lightbulb?

The power of a lightbulb can be affected by several factors, including the type of bulb (incandescent, LED, fluorescent), the voltage and current it is connected to, and the design and efficiency of the bulb.

4. How does the power of a lightbulb impact its brightness?

The power of a lightbulb is directly related to its brightness. In general, the higher the power, the brighter the bulb will be. However, the type of bulb and its design can also play a role in determining the brightness.

5. Can the power of a lightbulb be changed?

Yes, the power of a lightbulb can be changed by using a dimmer switch or by using a different wattage bulb. However, it is important to note that changing the power of a bulb can also affect its brightness and lifespan.