Power of noise after passing through a system h(t)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the variance of noise after passing through an LTI system with a given impulse response. The equations for calculating the variance in cases of white noise and 1/f noise are provided, but the individual is struggling to understand the math behind it. They also inquire about the possibility of simplifying the equation for a stationary process. They ask for suggestions on where to find help with this problem.
iVenky
**Reposting this again, as I was asked to post this on a homework forum**
1. Homework Statement

Hi,

I am trying to solve this math equation (that I found on a paper) on finding the variance of a noise after passing through an LTI system whose impulse response is h(t)
X(t) is the input noise of the system and Y(t) is the output noise after system h(t)
if let's say variance of noise Y(t) is
σy2=∫∫Rxx(u,v)h(u)h(v)dudv

where integration limits are from -∞ to +∞. Rxx is the autocorrelation function of noise X. Can you show that if Rxx (τ)=σx2 δ(τ) (models a white noise), then

σy2=σx2∫h2(u)du (integration limits are from -∞ to +∞)

and if Rxx (τ)=σx2 (models a 1/f noise), then

σy2=σx2(∫h(u)du)2 (integration limits are from -∞ to +∞)

I don't understand the math behind statistics that well
Thanks

Homework Equations

Can I write σy2=∫∫Rxx(u,v)h(u)h(v)dudv as
σy2=∫∫Rxx(τ)h(u)h(u+τ)dudτ
if noise X(t) is stationary process?
However, I am not sure how Rxx (τ)=σx2 δ(τ) or σx2 results in those different equations shown above

The Attempt at a Solution

Same as before

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Can you tell me if there is a better forum for this question to get an answer?

1. What is the definition of "power of noise after passing through a system h(t)"?

The power of noise after passing through a system h(t) refers to the amount of noise present in a signal after it has been processed by a system represented by the function h(t). It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the noise in the output signal.

2. How is the power of noise after passing through a system h(t) calculated?

The power of noise after passing through a system h(t) can be calculated by squaring the amplitude of the noise signal and then taking the average over a period of time. This is also known as the mean square value of the noise.

3. What factors can affect the power of noise after passing through a system h(t)?

The power of noise after passing through a system h(t) can be affected by various factors such as the characteristics of the input signal, the properties of the system represented by h(t), and any external noise sources present in the environment.

4. How does the power of noise after passing through a system h(t) impact the quality of a signal?

The power of noise after passing through a system h(t) can significantly impact the quality of a signal. A higher power of noise can result in a lower signal-to-noise ratio, making it more difficult to extract the desired information from the signal. This can lead to errors and distortions in the output signal.

5. Can the power of noise after passing through a system h(t) be reduced?

Yes, the power of noise after passing through a system h(t) can be reduced through various techniques such as filtering, noise cancellation, and signal processing algorithms. These methods aim to minimize the impact of noise on the output signal, improving its quality and accuracy.