Power Output & Work Done by a Motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by the force of the motor and gravity in a lift system. The total work done is found by multiplying the power output by the time taken, and the force of the motor is determined by considering the net forces on the system. The total work done is either 8000J or 0, depending on the calculation approach.
CPURules

Homework Statement

A small motor is used to operate a lift that raises a load of bricks weighing 500N to a height of 10m in 40s at constant speed. The lift weighs 300N. What is the work done by the force of the motor? What is the work done by the force of gravity?

Homework Equations

[itex]P = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{v}[/itex]
[itex]W = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{l}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since power is work done over a time interval (J/s), I figured that if I found the total power, I could multiply that by the time taken to get the total work done:

[itex]P = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{v}
= Fv*cos(\phi)[/itex]

The angle is 0 since the bricks are being lifted straight up, so that simplifies to P = Fv.

Force is the sum of the weight of the bricks and the lift (500N + 300N = 800N)

Found the average velocity:
v = (10m) / (40s) = 0.25m/s

This gives me an average power output of (800N * 0.25m/s) = 200W. Multiply this by 40 seconds, and I get the total work done, which is 8000 J.

Now I'm stuck. At first I thought that I could then calculate the work done by gravity and then subtract it from total work done to get the work done by the motor, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this or if that's even the right way to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the 800N force? The force of what on what?

Well since its the weight of the lift/bricks, I'm guessing it would be the force of gravity on the lift/bricks system

If this is so, then what you have calculated is the work done by gravity.

What force must the motor "produce" in order to have the system moving up with constant velocity?

Ah. Okay.

If velocity is constant, then acceleration of the system is 0. So the sum of the net forces should be zero. If gravity is producing a force of -800N (because gravity is going against the direction of displacement) then the motor has to produce a force of 800N. Then you could multiply this by the displacement (10m) to get 8000J / -8000J.

But if velocity is constant then the kinetic energy also does not change, which means that the TOTAL work done is 0; if gravity does -8000J of work then the motor does 8000J. So that works too. Is that right?

It looks OK to me.

Likes 1 person

Related to Power Output & Work Done by a Motor

1. What is power output?

Power output refers to the amount of energy or work that a motor can produce per unit time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

2. How is power output calculated?

The power output of a motor can be calculated by multiplying the torque (rotational force) produced by the motor by its rotational speed. This can be expressed as the formula: Power Output = Torque x Rotational Speed.

3. What factors affect power output of a motor?

The power output of a motor can be affected by various factors such as the type and design of the motor, its size and construction, the type and quality of its components, and the efficiency of its operation.

4. What is work done by a motor?

Work done by a motor refers to the amount of energy that is transferred from the motor to the system it is powering. This energy can be used to perform mechanical work, such as moving objects or driving a machine.

5. How is work done by a motor measured?

The work done by a motor can be measured in joules (J) or in units of power (W or hp) multiplied by time (seconds). This can be expressed as the formula: Work Done = Power Output x Time.