Power Requirement for Fire Hose in Urban Areas

In summary, to create a stream of water from a fire hose that shoots to a maximum height of 35 m in urban areas, a minimum power of 11550 N is required. This can be calculated by determining the amount of water that is squirted in a small amount of time and then using the formula P=W/t to calculate the minimum power needed.
pinkybear

Homework Statement

A fire hose for use in urban areas must be able to shoot a stream of water to a maximum height of 35 m. The water leaves the hose at ground level in a circular stream 3.5 cm in diameter.
What minimum power is required to create such a stream of water? Every cubic meter of water has a mass of 1.00*10^3 kg.

Homework Equations

P=W/t
W=Fd
V(of cylinder)=pi*r^2*h

The Attempt at a Solution

r=.0175m
v=pi*(.0175)^2*35
=.033674 m^3 then, mass= 33.67kg
w=(33.67)*g*35=11550 N
but then I'm stuck because I don't know what t is...
I tried v=v(0)+at, from which I got
P=m*a^2*D/v(0)
but now, I don't know how to get v(0)...

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good down to the point where you put 35 m into the formula for volume. You do need to work with some definite amount of water, but I think a much smaller amount would be better. I would pick a small time - say one second or one tenth of a second - and figure out how much water is squirted in that time. You could just figure out how much energy it has when it reaches the maximum height. The power calc should then be easy.

1. What is the power requirement for a fire hose in urban areas?

The power requirement for a fire hose in urban areas depends on various factors such as the water pressure, length of the hose, and the type of nozzle being used. Generally, it is recommended to have a minimum water pressure of 100 psi (pounds per square inch) for a fire hose in urban areas.

2. How is the power requirement calculated for a fire hose?

The power requirement for a fire hose is calculated by multiplying the flow rate (in gallons per minute) by the pressure (in pounds per square inch) required for the specific fire situation. This calculation helps determine the minimum size of the hose and the necessary water pressure for effective firefighting.

3. Is there a difference in power requirement for a fire hose in urban areas compared to rural areas?

Yes, there is a difference in power requirement for a fire hose in urban areas compared to rural areas. Urban areas typically have higher water pressure and larger and more complex fire incidents, which require a higher power requirement for the fire hose.

4. Are there any regulations or standards for the power requirement of fire hoses in urban areas?

Yes, there are regulations and standards for the power requirement of fire hoses in urban areas. These regulations and standards are set by local fire departments and national organizations, such as the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), to ensure that fire hoses have the necessary power to effectively combat fires in urban areas.

5. How can the power requirement for a fire hose in urban areas be increased?

The power requirement for a fire hose in urban areas can be increased by using a larger diameter hose, increasing the water pressure, or using a more efficient nozzle. It is important to follow regulations and recommendations when increasing the power requirement to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the firefighting operation.