Power series Construction Help

In summary, the task is to find the power series representation and interval of convergence for the function f(x) = 1/(1-3x)^2. To do this, we start with the known series for 1/(1-x) and take the derivative to get the new series for 1/(1-x)^2. This series converges for all x with |x| < 1. However, when we substitute 3x for x, we must consider the interval of convergence to be |3x| < 1, or |x| < 1/3.
Euler2718
Very basic issue here.

Using:

[tex] \frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} x^{i} , |x|<0 [/tex]

Find the power series representation and interval of convergence for:

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{(1-3x)^{2}} [/tex]

We have that:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\left[\frac{1}{1-x}\right] = \frac{1}{(1-x)^{2}} = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} ix^{i-1} , |x| < 0 [/tex]

Of all things, the algebra of manipulating the function in question is stumping me. For some reason whatever I try doesn't seem to work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Morgan Chafe said:
Very basic issue here.

Using:

[tex] \frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} x^{i} , |x|<0 [/tex]

Find the power series representation and interval of convergence for:

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{(1-3x)^{2}} [/tex]

We have that:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\left[\frac{1}{1-x}\right] = \frac{1}{(1-x)^{2}} = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} ix^{i-1} , |x| < 0 [/tex]
Do you understand what they're doing here? Particularly in getting the summation at the end? This is basically the same as what you need to do with your series.

Also your inequality at the end is wrong. ##|x| \ge 0## for all real x.
Morgan Chafe said:
Of all things, the algebra of manipulating the function in question is stumping me. For some reason whatever I try doesn't seem to work.

If I am correct the series converges for all x: |x|<1. When you find the derivative of this series, it can be that the series converges in either -1 and or 1, so you might want to check that.

yes, the initial series converges for ##|x|<1##. Observe that in the second case ##x## will be replaced by ##3x##, you must consider that ...

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞an(x-a)n, where a and the coefficients an are constants and x is a variable. It is a type of mathematical series that can be used to represent complex functions in a simpler form.

2. How do you construct a power series?

To construct a power series, start by choosing the center point a and finding the derivative of the function at that point. Then, substitute the derivative and the center point into the formula ∑n=0∞an(x-a)n. The coefficients an can be found using the Taylor series expansion of the function.

3. What is the purpose of a power series?

Power series are often used in mathematics and science to approximate complex functions that are difficult to work with. They can also be used to find solutions to differential equations, evaluate limits, and study the behavior of functions near a specific point.

4. Can any function be represented by a power series?

No, not all functions can be represented by a power series. Some functions, such as those with an infinite number of discontinuities or those that are not differentiable, cannot be expressed as a power series. Additionally, the radius of convergence of a power series limits the range of functions that can be represented by it.

5. How can power series be used to solve problems in real-world applications?

Power series can be used in various real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and economics, to model and solve problems. For example, in physics, power series can be used to approximate the motion of a pendulum or the trajectory of a projectile. In economics, they can be used to predict the growth of a population or the value of an investment over time.