Power Series Equation for Amplifier and Harmonics

In summary: This is why the Taylor series approximation works well for sin(x) and cos(x), but not for other functions. In summary, the power series expansion of a function gives a better approximation than the Taylor series approximation when the function is well behaved.
Natalie Johnson
Hi,

I keep reading in multiple sources that amplifier output can be given by

Vout = a0 + a1v(t) + a2v2(t) + a3v3(t) + ... + anvn(t)

I've checked in three of my textbooks and there is not a clear definition (its often just stated) why this equation is used and why it works. I am not looking for an explanation of what each term is, but why it needs to be a power series and not something else?

I've searched on google and my textbooks, I'm looking for some mathematical vigour of how harmonics form

Please can someone advise who knows or point me in the direction of a good explanation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here are my two cents:
For harmonics, the best expansion would be in terms of trigonometric functions, not a power series. That being said, here is a brief description of the power series.

a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... + anxn is a Taylor series approximation. Since it has powers of (x-x0), where x0=0, it is expanded around x0=0 and is called a Maclaurin series. The first term, a0, is the function value at x=0. The second term, a1x, adjusts for the slope (first derivative) of the function at x=0. The third term, a2x3, adjusts for the curvature (second derivative) of the function at x=0. For well behaved functions, more terms give better approximations of the function farther away from the central point, x0 = 0. Since you are interested in harmonics, the expansion of sin(x) and cos(x) will be of special interest. Here is a figure showing Taylor series expansions of f(x)=cos(x) at x0 = 0 with more and more terms. The function cos(x) is an even function, so the coefficients of the odd powers of x are all 0. g(x)=1-x2/2 looks ok very near x=0, but the errors get large away from x=0. As more and more terms are added, the functions, g(x), h(x), p(x), q(x), r(x), and s(x) get more and more accurate farther from x=0. They follow the higher derivatives of f(x) better. The final function, t(x), shows the error between s(x) and f(x). You can see that the error is fairly small out to about x=5 and then grows rapidly.
cosTaylorSeries.png

Attachments

• cosTaylorSeries.png
    cosTaylorSeries.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Likes anorlunda

1. What is a power series equation for an amplifier and how does it work?

A power series equation for an amplifier is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage of an amplifier. It is based on the concept of using a series of terms to approximate a function. In this case, the function is the amplification of the input voltage. The equation allows us to calculate the output voltage of the amplifier for any given input voltage.

2. How does the power series equation account for harmonics in an amplifier?

The power series equation takes into account the presence of harmonics in an amplifier by including terms for each harmonic frequency. These terms are multiples of the fundamental frequency and have different coefficients based on their amplitudes. By including these terms in the equation, we can accurately calculate the output voltage for any input signal, even if it contains harmonics.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the power series equation for an amplifier?

The accuracy of the power series equation for an amplifier depends on several factors, including the linearity of the amplifier, the quality of the components used, and the complexity of the circuit. In general, the more linear the amplifier and the higher quality components used, the more accurate the equation will be. Additionally, more complex circuits with more components may require a higher number of terms in the equation to achieve a more accurate result.

4. Can the power series equation be used for all types of amplifiers?

Yes, the power series equation can be used for all types of amplifiers, including both linear and nonlinear amplifiers. However, the equation may need to be modified for nonlinear amplifiers to account for the nonlinearity of the circuit. In general, the power series equation is a versatile tool for analyzing and predicting the behavior of amplifiers.

5. How is the power series equation derived for an amplifier?

The power series equation is derived using mathematical techniques such as Taylor series expansion and Fourier series. These techniques involve breaking down a complex function into a series of simpler terms, which allows us to approximate the behavior of the function. By applying these techniques to the transfer function of an amplifier, we can derive a power series equation that accurately represents the amplification of the input signal and the presence of harmonics.