Power Series for ODE: Find Coefficient of x38 Term

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first 6 terms of a power series expansion centered at 0 for a first-order equation, y''-xy'=0, and then determining the coefficient of the x38 term. The recurrence relation given is an+2 = (an(n+1))/(n+2)(n+3), however, this is incorrect and the correct relation is likely to be an+2 = (an(n+1))/(n+2)(n+3). To find a38, it is suggested to write out the values of a2, a4, and a6 explicitly and observe the pattern in order to determine the generalization for a38.
filter54321

Homework Statement

Find the first 6 terms of the power series expansion centered at 0 for the general solution for y
-xy'=0. Then find the coefficient of the x38 term.

Homework Equations

General solution is of the form:
y=a0+a1x+a2x2+a3x3+a4x4+a5x5+...

If you factor out the ao and a1 you will be left with two series that comprise the general solution

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the recurrence relation to be an+2=[tex]\frac{an(n+1)}{(n+2)(n+3)}[/tex]

This makes getting the 6 terms a "plug and chug" exercise so I'm not going to type it all out.

But how do I come up with the generalization for the ao and a1 series? It would take forever to compute the x coefficient on the 38th power without a generalization so I'm totally stuck. It must have to do with the recurrence relation.

Please be as detailed as possible. I can't find this in my text or on Youtube and I have a final in 3 days and the adjunct teaching the class doesn't do office hours. :(

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you solved it correctly. You should only end up with one series because it's a first-order equation and should therefore only have one solution.

Ah. Typo.

y''-xy'=0

filter54321 said:
Ah. Typo.

y''-xy'=0

Which, of course, you don't need series to solve. Let y' - u...

You need to recheck your recurrence relation. It's close, but not quite right.

To find a38, you will probably find it helpful to write out what a2, a4, and a6 equal explicitly. You should recognize a pattern that will let you write down what a38 is.

Related to Power Series for ODE: Find Coefficient of x38 Term

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form $\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n$, where $a_n$ represents the coefficient of the $n^{th}$ term and $x$ is the variable.

How do power series relate to ODEs?

Power series can be used to find solutions to ordinary differential equations (ODEs). By representing the solution as a power series, we can use the coefficients to find the specific solution to the ODE.

Why is it important to find the coefficient of a specific term?

Finding the coefficient of a specific term in a power series can help us determine the specific solution to an ODE. It can also provide insight into the behavior of the solution near a specific point or singularity.

What is the process for finding the coefficient of a specific term?

To find the coefficient of a specific term in a power series, we can use the formula $a_n = \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}$, where $f^{(n)}(x)$ represents the $n^{th}$ derivative of the function $f(x)$. We can then plug in the value of $n$ to find the desired coefficient.

Are there any limitations to using power series to solve ODEs?

Power series may not always converge to a solution, and in some cases, the convergence may be limited to a certain interval. Additionally, power series may not be able to represent all types of solutions to ODEs, such as those with singularities or discontinuities.