Series Solution to Second Order DE

So the terms are ##x^2##, ##x^4/2^2\cdot 2##, ##x^6/2^3\cdot 3## etc. Can you write the general term?In summary, the conversation discusses finding a power series solution for the differential equation y'' + xy' + 2y = 0 about x0 = 0. The recurrence relations for the coefficients of the power series solution are found and the terms a2, a3, a4, a5, a6, a7, a8 are determined in terms of the first two terms a0 and a1. The general form of the coefficients is deduced and the general solution is written as a linear combination
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

Consider a power series solution about x0 = 0 for the differential equation y'' + xy' + 2y = 0.
a) Find the recurrence relations satisfied by the coefficients an of the power series solution.
b) Find the terms a2, a3, a4, a5, a6, a7, a8 of this power series in terms of the first two terms a0, a1.
c) Deduce the general form of the coefficients an and write down the general solution as a linear combination of 2 linearly independent power series solutions.
d) What is the radius of convergence of each one of the two linearly independent power series solutions.
f) Find the power series solution of the initial value problem y'' + xy' + 2y = 0. y(0) = 3, y' (0) = −1. g) Give the polynomial approximations of degrees 4 and 5 for the solution of the initial value problem in (f).

Homework Equations

y=Σanxn

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For a) I let y=∑anxn

and through taking the derivative and substituting I got

∑xn[(n+2)(n+1)an+ 2 + nan +2an ]= 0
Which showed that the recurrence relation is

(n+2)(n+1)an+2 +nan+2an=0
which simplifies to an+2 = -an/(n+1)

b) I found that

a2 = -a0
a4 = -a0/(3)
a6 = -a0/(3*5)
a8 = -a0/(3*5*7)

Similarly,

a3 = -a1/2
a5 = -a1/(2*4)
a7 = -a1/(2*4*6)

c) I know I have to try to find a solution where I can write a0 ∑ + a1
but I don't know any series that has the pattern that I observed so I am lost.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know the pattern hoping it comes out something familiar like and exponential or trig function. Just write down the two series that have ##a_0## and ##a_1## in them. It's best if you can figure out a formula for the nth term of each so you can test them for convergence. And, of course, ##a_0## and ##a_1## are your two arbitrary constants.

Would I be correct in writing it asy=a0 [-1 + x3/3 - x5 /(3*5) + x7 /(3*5*7) + ...+ ] + a1 [ -x2/2 + x4/(2*4) - x6/(2*4*6)]

Assuming your arithmetic is correct, yes but not complete. You need to figure out the general term of each to test for convergence. For example, look at your ##a_0## series. You have odd powers of ##x##. So the general exponent on ##x## could be written ##x^{2n-1}##. Your calculus book probably has examples of series with denominators like that. You could write that denominator like ##3\cdot 5\cdot 7\cdots (?)## where you need the formula for the last term in terms of ##n##. Similarly for the even terms.

I think I would get a general solution of

y= a0 ∑(-1)n x2n-1/(2n-1)] for my first term however I am still working on my second term

jasonchiang97 said:
I think I would get a general solution of

y= a0 ∑(-1)n x2n-1/(2n-1)] for my first term however I am still working on my second term
That isn't correct. Notice that the denominators start with 3 and have more factors as they get larger. Also you will likely need to check if the first term or two agree with the general formula. And put the correct index on the sum. For the ##a_1## series, a hint is to take a ##2## out of each factor.

What is a series solution to a second order differential equation?

A series solution to a second order differential equation is a method of finding an approximate solution to the equation by expressing the solution as an infinite series. This method is useful when an exact solution cannot be found using other methods.

How does the series solution method work?

The series solution method involves assuming that the solution can be expressed as a power series, plugging this series into the differential equation, and solving for the coefficients in the series. The resulting series will converge to the true solution for certain values of the independent variable.

What are the advantages of using a series solution to solve a second order differential equation?

One advantage of using a series solution is that it allows for an approximate solution to be found even when an exact solution cannot be found. Additionally, it can be used to find a solution for a wide range of initial conditions.

What are some limitations of the series solution method?

The series solution method may not always be able to find an accurate solution, as it relies on the assumption that the solution can be expressed as a power series. Additionally, it may be difficult to determine the convergence of the resulting series, making it hard to determine the accuracy of the solution.

How is the accuracy of a series solution determined?

The accuracy of a series solution can be determined by calculating the error term, which represents the difference between the true solution and the approximated solution. This error term can be used to determine the range of values for which the series solution is accurate.