Power to raise water from point A to B

In summary: Again, kW is the dimension of power. Watt=Joule per second. KiloWatt= Joule *1000 per second.Watt per hour as you state is not the dimension of power, watt is.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

Water is pumped from a well into a home. The height of the water to be lifted is 20 m, and they want to reach a water flow of up to 3.6 m3/h. The effective efficiency, when one takes into account the energy losses in both the pump in the water flowing in the pipes, is estimated at 40%. How much power should the pump be? (It is assumed that the kinetic energy of the water can be completely neglected in this context.)

Homework Equations

W=mgh
Efficiency=W_{applied}/(W_{quarried})
And I am sure that I am missing an equation(don't know which).

The Attempt at a Solution

It is given that the desired flow is up to 3.6 m^3/h = 3600 dm^3/h = 3600 kg/h. And the energy required to transport the water from the well to the home per hour is

W=mgH/h=3600*9.81*20/h≈ 700 000 W/h. Now the efficiency is 40% which means that the minimum power P form the pump must be:

0.4P = 700 000 W/h. Hence, P = 1.8*10^6 W/h. Very far from the correct answer(0.5kW). What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units. That is the only mistake you have committed.

Sunil Simha said:
Check your units. That is the only mistake you have committed.

Oh. (1.8*10^6)/(3600s)=500 W/second. But in that case I transform from W/hour to W/second. Confusing since it should only be W. Also the answer is in only W

I also have an other concern that I don't understand from the problem statement:

It is assumed that the kinetic energy of the water can be completely neglected in this context.

I don't understand the relevancy of this at all. How is this relevant? Or in what context could it be relevant?

zeralda21 said:
Oh. (1.8*10^6)/(3600s)=500 W/second. But in that case I transform from W/hour to W/second. Confusing since it should only be W. Also the answer is in only W

Are you sue it is W/h. Or is it J/h?

You can neglect the kinetic energy of the water pumped on the assumption that the water was pumped quite slowly ((i.e. reversibly;like in a reversible thermodynamic process). This assumption is just an ideal scenario.

Sunil Simha said:
Are you sue it is W/h. Or is it J/h?

You can neglect the kinetic energy of the water pumped on the assumption that the water was pumped quite slowly ((i.e. reversibly;like in a reversible thermodynamic process). This assumption is just an ideal scenario.

I am not sure but I believe so since the answer is 0.5 kW. Does anyone know?

zeralda21 said:

Yes, 0.5 kW is the correct answer. Remember , Efficiency= Power output/Power input...
You had to calculate power input in this case which comes out to be 0.5 kW.

zeralda21 said:

Well, check the dimensions of power. Which one of J/h and W/h have the same dimensions?

sankalpmittal said:
Yes, 0.5 kW is the correct answer. Remember , Efficiency= Power output/Power input...
You had to calculate power input in this case which comes out to be 0.5 kW.

Forgive me for not being smooth here. But I still don't understand. It is something with the units I think.

The amount of work required from A to B is 700 000 W/h and η=40%=0.4 Therefore

0.4*Power input = 700 000. Hence power input = 1.8*10^6 W/h. The answer is 500 W = 0.5kW which is given if 1.8*10^6 W/h is divided by 3600 seconds which would yield W/second. So what am I doing wrong?

zeralda21 said:
Forgive me for not being smooth here. But I still don't understand. It is something with the units I think.

0.4*Power input = 700 000. Hence power input = 1.8*10^6 W/h. The answer is 500 W = 0.5kW which is given if 1.8*10^6 W/h is divided by 3600 seconds which would yield W/second. So what am I doing wrong?

Okay, back to the basics. What is the unit of power? (consult your textbook,if you are confused)
What are its dimensions?
What are those of W/h? Does it have the same dimensions as those of power?

zeralda21 said:

Again, kW is the dimension of power. Watt=Joule per second. KiloWatt= Joule *1000 per second.

Watt per hour as you state is not the dimension of power, watt is.

The question specifically stated that water "flow up" rate is 3.6 m3 per hour. What will be its rate in m3 per second ? How will you find mass flow up per second then ? How will you get gain in potential energy per second ?

CHECK YOUR UNITS !

Related to Power to raise water from point A to B

1. How does the power to raise water from point A to B work?

The power to raise water from point A to B is typically achieved through the use of pumps. These pumps use mechanical energy, such as electricity or a combustion engine, to create pressure and move the water from a lower point to a higher point.

2. What factors affect the power required to raise water from point A to B?

The power required to raise water from point A to B depends on several factors, including the distance between the two points, the elevation change, the flow rate of the water, and the efficiency of the pump being used.

3. Can renewable energy be used to power the process of raising water from point A to B?

Yes, renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power can be used to power the process of raising water from point A to B. This can help reduce the environmental impact and cost associated with using non-renewable energy sources.

4. Are there any alternative methods for raising water from point A to B?

Yes, there are alternative methods for raising water from point A to B, such as using gravity-fed systems or utilizing natural water sources, such as rivers or streams, for irrigation purposes. However, these methods may not be suitable for all situations and may require specific conditions to be effective.

5. What are some practical applications of the power to raise water from point A to B?

The power to raise water from point A to B is commonly used for various purposes, such as supplying water to homes and buildings, irrigating crops, and providing water for industrial processes. It can also be used for flood control and water management in areas prone to natural disasters.