Power Transmission Line and Transformer Parameters

In summary, a power transmission line has 3 capacities, mutual inductivities, and mutual coupling between phases. On no-load, the current drawn from the primary is used to supply the magnetising current and losses within the core.
Physicist3
Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to help me clarify a few things regarding transmission lines and transformers?

For a Power Transmission line, what exactly is the mutual coupling between phases of a 3 phase line? Is this the same as the shunt capacitance and if not, what exactly is the shunt capacitance? Is the series resistance and inductance of a transmission line simply the resistance and inductance of each of the 3 lines separately and not taking into account linkage between the lines?

For a transformer, am I correct in thinking that on no-load, the current drawn from the primary is used to supply the magnetising current required for production of a flux around the core, and also for supply of the losses within the core (eddy current and hysteresis). What exactly is the magnetic impedance and the leakage as these terms confuse me somewhat? Also, when a TXFR is on load, are the additional losses simply the I^2R
losses in the windings due to the winding resistances?

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Physicist3 said:
For a Power Transmission line, what exactly is the mutual coupling between phases of a 3 phase line? Is this the same as the shunt capacitance and if not, what exactly is the shunt capacitance? Is the series resistance and inductance of a transmission line simply the resistance and inductance of each of the 3 lines separately and not taking into account linkage between the lines?
There are 3 phase to phase capacities and 3 phase to ground capacities. For example, capacity between phase A and B is defined as Cab=ΔQab/ΔVab, capacity between phase A and ground is Ca0=ΔQa0/ΔVa0 etc. Similar definition is for mutual inductivities Labab/I, where I is current circulating in loop of the phases A-B and creating mutual flux Ψab. Also 6 of them. Mutual capacities and inductivities depend exclusively on the geometry of the system.
For a transformer, am I correct in thinking that on no-load, the current drawn from the primary is used to supply the magnetising current required for production of a flux around the core, and also for supply of the losses within the core (eddy current and hysteresis).
The current drawn is called a magnetizing current. It produces flux in the core, and only smart part around core. Yes, it supply losses within the core.
See wikipedia for more : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

You could do a little Googling before posting here. I searched "transmission line equivalent circuit" and found numerous sources such as http://eee.guc.edu.eg/Courses/Electronics/ELCT908%20Distributed%20Power%20Systems/Lectures/Modeling%20of%20Transmission%20Lines.pdf

Same thing for transformers.

If you still do to understand after studying the courses, then you are welcome to post questions here.

1. What are power transmission lines and transformers?

Power transmission lines are structures that carry electric power from generating stations to end-use customers. Transformers are devices that change the voltage levels of electricity as it travels through the transmission lines, allowing for efficient and safe transfer of electricity.

2. What factors are important in determining the parameters of power transmission lines?

The parameters of power transmission lines are determined by factors such as the length of the line, the type of materials used, the amount of power being transmitted, and the environmental conditions in the area where the lines are located.

3. How do power transmission lines and transformers affect the overall efficiency of the electric grid?

Power transmission lines and transformers are crucial components of the electric grid, as they help to efficiently transport electricity from power plants to homes, businesses, and other end-users. By stepping up or stepping down the voltage levels, transformers help to minimize energy losses during transmission, improving overall efficiency.

4. What are some common challenges in maintaining power transmission lines and transformers?

One of the main challenges in maintaining power transmission lines and transformers is the constant threat of damage from severe weather events such as storms, high winds, and lightning strikes. Other challenges include aging infrastructure, environmental factors, and the need for regular maintenance and repairs.

5. How are power transmission line and transformer parameters regulated?

The parameters of power transmission lines and transformers are regulated by government agencies and industry standards. These regulations ensure that the equipment is designed, installed, and maintained according to specific safety and performance standards, helping to ensure the reliability and stability of the electric grid.