Poynting vector -- Calculate the EM power transmitted down a coax cable

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation for the distribution of charge on a wire and the calculation of current based on this equation. The result obtained for current has the opposite sign of the charge distribution, leading to conflicting directions for the propagation of energy.
denniszhao
Homework Statement
Poynting vector
Relevant Equations
attached below in pic
06E4AAFC-34D3-486B-9AFF-7999D42445AD.jpg
QQ20191212-1.jpg

I don't know which part gets wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. How much W does your result show ?

mitochan said:
Hi. How much W does your result show ?
I got 3.3uW which is same as the given answer but the derivation isn't correct tho

Hum.. I am so optimistic to say if you get the right value, the way of your derivation is right too.

@denniszhao, Welcome to PF! We ask that you try to type in your equations rather than post a picture of hand-written work. This allows the homework helpers to easily quote individual parts of your post.
---------------------------------------
I'm not clear on the meaning of the statement:

"The distribution of charge on the inner wire is given by ##q(z,t) = Q_0\cos \left( \omega( \frac{z}{c}-t) \right)##"

Does ##q(z, t)## represent the amount of charge on the wire at position ##z## at time ##t##? That doesn't make sense to me. How can there be a finite amount of charge located at one value of ##z##?

But, suppose we go ahead and assume that the charge per unit length ##\lambda(z,t)## on the wire is given by

##\lambda(z,t) =\frac{\partial q}{\partial z} = -\frac{\omega}{c} Q_0 \sin \left( \omega( \frac{z}{c}-t) \right)##

The current ##I(z,t)## is not given by ##\large \frac{\partial q(z,t)}{\partial t}##. Rather, see if you can show that

##\large \frac {\partial I}{\partial z} = -\frac{\partial \lambda}{\partial t}##.

You can then use this relation to derive the expression for ##I(z, t)##.

------------------

Note that your result for ##I(z,t)## has the opposite sign of ##\lambda(z, t)##. The directions of E and B will then be such that the Poynting vector propagates energy in the negative-z direction. But I think you should find that the energy propagates in the positive-z direction.

1. What is the Poynting vector and how is it related to EM power transmission?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic (EM) energy flow. It represents the rate at which EM energy is transmitted through a given area. In the context of power transmission, the Poynting vector can be used to calculate the amount of EM power transmitted down a coaxial cable.

2. How do you calculate the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector can be calculated using the formula: S = E x H, where S represents the Poynting vector, E is the electric field vector, and H is the magnetic field vector. This formula takes into account the direction and magnitude of both the electric and magnetic fields, as they are both necessary for the transmission of EM energy.

3. What is a coaxial cable and how is it used in EM power transmission?

A coaxial cable is a type of transmission line that is made up of two conductors separated by an insulating material. It is commonly used to transmit high-frequency signals, such as those used in radio and television broadcasting. In the context of EM power transmission, a coaxial cable is used to carry the EM energy from the source to the destination.

4. How does the Poynting vector relate to the power transmitted down a coax cable?

The Poynting vector represents the rate at which EM energy is transmitted through a given area. In the case of a coaxial cable, the Poynting vector can be used to calculate the amount of power transmitted down the cable by integrating its magnitude over the cross-sectional area of the cable. This calculation takes into account both the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the properties of the cable itself.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the Poynting vector and EM power transmission through a coaxial cable?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the Poynting vector and EM power transmission through a coaxial cable. These include the frequency of the EM signal, the length and diameter of the cable, the type and quality of the insulating material, and any interference or losses that may occur during transmission.