Calculating Decibels & Watts: Looking for Help

In summary, the conversation discusses using coaxial cable for power transfer, but it is pointed out that this is not suitable for high currents due to its small inner conductor and low breakdown voltage. The conversation also mentions a power loss of 1.8dB, which is incorrectly converted to a power of 0.001 W. The correct conversion shows that for each kW input to the device, the power required into the cable at ground level needs to be 1.5kW. It is also noted that the 1.8dB loss may include resistive (ohmic) losses.
rwooduk
Homework Statement
An electronic device works at a power of 2000 W at depth of 6000 ft. It has 90% efficiency and the attenuation of the power signal through the wire is 0.1 dB/100m. Calculate the electrical power needed to power the device (at 2000 W) from the surface.
Relevant Equations
N/A
The above is just an example question to describe the situation. I am doing some simple calculations, but I think I am missing something. Is anyone here familiar with decibels?

It is a coax cable and I'm working at ~20 kHz where attenutation isn't listed on the data sheet - https://docs.rs-online.com/729b/0900766b815aad8e.pdf. But since attenuation is inversely proportional to frequency let's assumed a loss of around 0.1 db/100m.

Efficiency is just 90% of 2000 W. Then conversion of metres to feet. However, I get a loss of ~1.8 dB. I think this is only around 0.001 W, which cannot be correct. There's no way a signal would only loose 0.001 W traveling 6000 feet. I am expecting an electric power needed to power the device of around 10 kW at the surface.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you driving lots of power through coax? Coax is usually for comm signals, and large gauge Romex-style twin lead is for transferring power. You list the powers, but not the voltages and currents. How much current are you trying to drive through that inner coax conductor...?

berkeman said:
Why are you driving lots of power through coax? Coax is usually for comm signals, and large gauge Romex-style twin lead is for transferring power. You list the powers, but not the voltages and currents. How much current are you trying to drive through that inner coax conductor...?

Thanks for the reply. I just used coax as an example, at present using coax for only 50 W devices. Are the voltages / currents needed to determine attenuation of the signal? I thought it could be done using just the power used? My problem is the dB to Watts conversion which seems off for such long distance.

Coax typically has a pretty small inner conductor, which is not suitable for high currents. And the breakdown voltage of typical coax cable is not real high, so to push lots of power you will end up with fairly high currents, which will give you attenuation in ##I^2 R## losses, in addition to the (small) dielectric AC losses.

If you want to do some 20kHz power application at the end of a log cable, it would seem better to run large gauge twin lead for power and low-loss/distortion coax for the signal. You would then put the transducer or transmitter or whatever at the end of the combined cable run.

Can you say anything about the application?

Likes rwooduk
berkeman said:
Coax typically has a pretty small inner conductor, which is not suitable for high currents. And the breakdown voltage of typical coax cable is not real high, so to push lots of power you will end up with fairly high currents, which will give you attenuation in losses, in addition to the (small) dielectric AC losses.
Agree, but other than SWR ratio how is it a function of distance? Especially for lower frequencies?

berkeman said:
If you want to do some 20kHz power application at the end of a log cable, it would seem better to run large gauge twin lead for power and low-loss/distortion coax for the signal. You would then put the transducer or transmitter or whatever at the end of the combined cable run.

Can you say anything about the application?
This is actually really useful, thanks! At the end point the cable would be similar to used in oil / gas wells. Let's just call it a transmitter operating at depth. I also need to factor in temperature, but not got past the simplest part yet! For hydrophones you would usually convert voltage to decibels to pascals, then to W/m^2 which can be taken as a measure of power. But here I am converting dB/m directly to power, and this doesn't seem a correct conversion. Unless I've missed something?

rwooduk said:
However, I get a loss of ~1.8 dB. I think this is only around 0.001 W, which cannot be correct.
As noted by @berkeman, the RG213 coaxial cable may not be suitable.

However, you have made a basic maths error when using dB.

A power loss of 1.8dB means that:
$$10log \frac {P_{out}}{P_{in}} = -1.8$$or this can be written as$$10log \frac {P_{in}}{P_{out}} = 1.8$$This gives $$\frac {P_{in}}{P_{out}} = 10^{0.18} ≈ 1.5$$

So (roughly) for each kW transferred from the cable to the device, the power required into the cable at ground level needs to be 1.5kW.

It is not clear if the 1.8dB loss includes resistive (ohmic) losses which will be heavily dependent on the current.

Likes rwooduk and berkeman
Steve4Physics said:
As noted by @berkeman, the RG213 coaxial cable may not be suitable.

However, you have made a basic maths error when using dB.

A power loss of 1.8dB means that:
$$10log \frac {P_{out}}{P_{in}} = -1.8$$or this can be written as$$10log \frac {P_{in}}{P_{out}} = 1.8$$This gives $$\frac {P_{in}}{P_{out}} = 10^{0.18} ≈ 1.5$$

So (roughly) for each kW input to the device, the power required into the cable at ground level needs to be 1.5kW.

It is not clear if the 1.8dB loss includes resistive (ohmic) losses which will be heavily dependent on the current.
Ohh, I was going at this completely the wrong way, then went around in circles trying to convert the different units. Very helpful, thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. How do I calculate decibels?

To calculate decibels, you need to use the logarithmic formula: dB = 10 * log (P1/P0), where P1 is the power being measured and P0 is the reference power level. You can also use a decibel calculator or a conversion table to make the calculation easier.

2. What is the difference between decibels and watts?

Decibels (dB) and watts (W) are two different units of measurement. Decibels measure the relative power or intensity of a sound or signal, while watts measure the actual power or energy being transmitted. Decibels are a logarithmic unit, while watts are a linear unit.

3. How do I convert between decibels and watts?

To convert from decibels to watts, you can use the formula: P1 = P0 * 10^(dB/10), where P1 is the power in watts, P0 is the reference power level, and dB is the decibel value. To convert from watts to decibels, you can use the formula: dB = 10 * log (P1/P0).

4. What is the reference power level for decibels?

The reference power level for decibels can vary depending on the context. In audio and acoustics, the reference power level is often set at 0 dB, which is equivalent to a power of 1 watt. In telecommunications and electronics, the reference power level is often set at 1 milliwatt (0.001 watts).

5. How are decibels and watts used in real-world applications?

Decibels and watts are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including audio and sound engineering, telecommunications, electronics, and physics. They are used to measure and compare the power of signals, the intensity of sound, and the energy consumption of devices. They are also used to determine the appropriate levels for safe exposure to noise and to assess the performance of amplifiers and other electronic equipment.