Precession of Mercury and period of rotation

In summary: Perihelion_precession_of_MercuryIn summary, the orbit of Mercury precesses, causing the perihelion to move around the sun over time. This precession was initially not fully understood and differed from predictions using Newton's laws of motion, but was later explained by Einstein's general theory of relativity. This means that the period of Mercury's orbit as seen from Earth is not uniform and changes with each orbit.
vinven7
HI - we know that the orbit of mercury precesses (I hope I am using the right terminology here). Which basically means that the orbit seems to undergo some sort of rotation in the ecliptic plane. Does this also mean that the period of Mercury's orbit as seen from the Earth is not uniform but changes with each orbit? (Please let me know if this question is clear enough, perhaps I am not expressing it well enough)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
vinven7 said:
HI - we know that the orbit of mercury precesses (I hope I am using the right terminology here). Which basically means that the orbit seems to undergo some sort of rotation in the ecliptic plane. Does this also mean that the period of Mercury's orbit as seen from the Earth is not uniform but changes with each orbit? (Please let me know if this question is clear enough, perhaps I am not expressing it well enough)
I don't know about the period of Mercury's orbit, but the perihelion, the point at which Mercury is closest to the sun, is what precesses, or moves around the sun over time:

http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node98.html

The orbits of all the planets in the solar system precess to some degree, but Mercury's is the one which caused the most problems. The amount of precession observed differed slightly from what was predicted using Newton's laws of motion, by an amount 43 arc seconds per century. Many attempts at resolving this discrepancy using Newtonian physics alone failed, but Einstein was able to show, using his general theory of relativity, how much the orbit of Mercury should precess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_general_relativity

1. What is the Precession of Mercury?

The Precession of Mercury refers to the gradual shift in the direction of Mercury's orbit around the sun. This phenomenon is caused by the gravitational pull of the other planets in our solar system and is a result of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. Why is the Precession of Mercury important?

The Precession of Mercury is important because it provided the first observational evidence for the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also helped to refine our understanding of the laws of gravity and the structure of our solar system.

3. How long does it take for Mercury to complete one full precession?

It takes approximately 12.96 Earth years for Mercury to complete one full precession. This means that every 12.96 years, Mercury's orbit shifts back to its original position.

4. What is the period of rotation for Mercury?

The period of rotation for Mercury, or the time it takes for the planet to complete one full rotation on its axis, is approximately 59 Earth days. This is much slower than its orbital period around the sun, which is only 88 Earth days.

5. How does the Precession of Mercury affect spacecraft and satellites?

The Precession of Mercury can affect spacecraft and satellites that pass close to the planet, as the shift in its orbit can cause changes in the gravitational forces acting on these objects. This must be taken into account when planning missions to Mercury or using the planet for gravitational assist maneuvers.