Predicting the future of a deterministic universe

In summary, the conversation was about the concept of causal determinism and whether a computer outside of the universe could accurately predict the future of the universe. The group also discussed the implications of an intelligent being in the universe having knowledge of the future and how it would affect the computer's calculations. However, the conversation was deemed to not meet PF posting requirements as it primarily focused on philosophy rather than mainstream science.
raphalbatros
I was discussing with some friends the other day. We were philosophizing about a hypothetical universe which is governed by the principles of causal determinism. (Go look at the Wikipedia page on determinism for more details about causal determinism.)

Our first concern was: Could a computer, knowing the exact state of the entire universe at one moment, in theory, calculate the future of this universe?

We quickly came to the conclusion that, if the computer is outside the universe and cannot interact in any way with it, it can, in theory, calculate the future of this universe. But if the computer can interact with the universe, things get weird.

So some questions and assumptions arose.

Let's say an intelligent being, called Robert, in that universe, build such a computer and gives it all the information about the entire universe at one precise moment in the past (let's say 1 year ago exactly).A first assumption poses problem:

A universe in which exists an intelligent being who knows the future is an incoherent universe. What I mean by that is: there is no possible configuration allowing such a universe to exist.If that assumption is true, then we know the computer won’t show his future to Robert.So what happens between the beginning of its calculation and the moment Robert look at the results?First of all, when you think about it, you find that the computer will experiment a loop. When its simulation reaches the beginning of that said simulation, it will create a sub-simulation, which will encounter that same problem. So the computer will not be able to make progress.But let’s say this is a computer we can’t even imagine, that can surpass that kind of problem (the loop). So what would happen in that case? I think it would simulate until the point where an intelligent being look at the result, and then the computer won’t be able to calculate/simulate a coherent continuation, just because such a continuation cannot exist.

Also, in the simulation, the computer simulates the moment he shows his future to Robert, but for that to happen, it must have already calculated the future, but for that to happen, it must have calculated the moment where Robert look at the result.Well, my questions to you guys are:Do you think my assumptions are right?
Is there something I did not consider?

And finally, did I post this in the right place?

Likes Delta2
Space news on Phys.org
Answering your last post first: No, this is mostly philosophy and, to a lesser extent computer programming, and I have requested it be moved.
Is there something you did not consider: Yes, a couple of things.
1) Your "intelligent being" doesn't have to be intelligent, only able to hold information.
2) Your intelligent being doesn't have to have a complete or completely accurate notion of the future.
3) You underestimate your computer. When the computer encounters recursion (parts of the universe that contain all of the universe - or at least parts that include itself), it can encode those cases without actually replicating the data.

Likes raphalbatros
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Hi raphalbatros,

I'm sorry but we don't discuss topics which are primarily about philosophy here at PF. They tend to generate very little useful discussion, get bogged down with people who have little knowledge of philosophy, and are not part of our mission to teach people about mainstream science. I recommend finding a forum dedicated to philosophy. I'm sure you can find plenty online.

Since this thread doesn't meet PF posting requirements I'm afraid it will have to remain locked.

Thanks for your time.

Likes raphalbatros

1. Can the future of a deterministic universe be accurately predicted?

Yes, in theory, the future of a deterministic universe can be accurately predicted if all the initial conditions and laws governing the universe are known.

2. What is a deterministic universe?

A deterministic universe is one in which all events are determined by previous events and the laws of nature, meaning that there is no randomness or free will.

3. How does determinism affect the concept of free will?

Determinism suggests that free will is an illusion, as all actions and choices are predetermined by previous events and the laws of nature.

4. Can we ever truly know all the initial conditions and laws of a universe to accurately predict its future?

It is unlikely that we will ever possess the technology or knowledge to know all the initial conditions and laws of a universe, making accurate prediction of its future impossible.

5. Are there any possible implications or consequences of living in a deterministic universe?

Living in a deterministic universe could mean that our lives are predetermined and we have no control over our actions or choices. It also raises questions about the concept of morality and responsibility for our actions.