Predicting the spring constant theoretically

In summary: If you separate the geometry from the physics, you can get a ballpark answer for the spring constant without actually solving the Cauchy equation.
hacivat
I take a wire of metal X which has a diameter d. Let the total length of it be L and I roll it around a cylinder with diameter D to create a spring. Is it possible to predict the spring constant of this system (and relate it to the elastic constants of the metal)?

Has anybody seen/heard/know a method how to do that? Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle this should be possible (how else would manufacturers produce springs with a specified spring constant?). However I don't know if the geometry admits an analytical solution to the Cauchy equation, or whether a numerical method is necessary.

Likes vanhees71
One can get at least part way to a solution by observing that a coil spring operates as a torsion device. Compressing the coil puts torque on the wire. So one would begin by calculating the incremental twist which would result from an incremental compression.

If one ignores the curve in the wire and assumes, perhaps counter-factually, that the strain in the wire is purely rotational and is uniform (i.e. proportional to distance from the wire center) within any given cross-sectional disc then it should be simple to calculate the stress distribution across a representative cross-section for any small incremental twist based on the shear modulus for the material.

Integrating stress times an area element times a moment arm across a cross section should yield torque. Torque times twist is equal to compression distance times force. We started with the relationship between compression and twist.

But then, I've never taken a course in this stuff. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

Likes vanhees71
I would split this into two problems:

The first is geometry: if the spring is stretched by an amount ΔL., how much does the metal itself stretch.

The second is physics: given the Young's Modulus for the metal, what force is required to stretch the metal a given amount.

Put the two together and you have the spring constant.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
[...]given the Young's Modulus for the metal, what force is required to stretch the metal a given amount.
For a coil spring, I think you want the shear modulus, not Young's modulus. Torsion will involve a shear strain.

For a leaf spring, I think you would indeed want Young's modulus, not the shear modulus. Bending will involve a lengthwise strain.

Likes vanhees71
Yes. The calculations for coil spring design are well known to mechanical engineers. You can use search terms coil spring calculation or you can go to the definitive source - the SMI Handbook of Spring Design: https://smihq.org/store/ViewProduct.aspx?id=8525988.

The coils of a coil spring are stressed in torsion.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, russ_watters, berkeman and 2 others
That's part of the reason I wanted to treat the geometry separately: coil spring, leaf spring, flat spring, Belleville spring...

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the spring constant and why is it important in predicting the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. This constant is important in predicting the behavior of a spring because it allows us to understand how the spring will respond to external forces and how much energy it can store.

2. How is the spring constant typically calculated theoretically?

The spring constant can be calculated theoretically using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant of a spring can be affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the diameter and length of the spring. Additionally, the temperature and the amount of weight or force applied to the spring can also affect its stiffness.

4. Can the spring constant change over time?

The spring constant is typically considered to be a constant value, but it can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and material fatigue. In some cases, the spring may also exhibit non-linear behavior, meaning the spring constant may change depending on the amount of force applied.

5. How accurate is predicting the spring constant theoretically?

The accuracy of predicting the spring constant theoretically depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the spring and the accuracy of the measurements used in the calculations. In general, theoretical predictions can provide a good estimate of the spring constant, but experimental testing may be necessary to determine the exact value.