Predicting the top contenders for the upcoming Euro tournament

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Upcoming
In summary, Zinedine Zidane is retired, England did not qualify for the Euro tournament, Ronaldo and Quaresma are the stars of Portugal, Germany and Italy respectively, and Adrian Mutu was just busted for cocaine and fined $20 million.
mgiddy911
Any other football fans here?

Who do you think will win the upcoming Euro tournament?
Which players will shine?

I'm having trouble picking a winner but Italy, France, Germany and Spain are my top 4.
I may be wrong but I believe it won't be possible for Italy and France to face off in the final as they are both in Group C. I'd love too see them duke it out again.

Physics news on Phys.org
My money's on Germany. I think Portugal are one to watch, too.

mgiddy911 said:
Which players will shine?
Zinedine Zidane
Italy and France to face off in the final as they are both in Group C. I'd love too see them duke it out again.
you must be kidding :smile:

surely you jest
Zidane is retired
I said Italy and France can't play each other due to the way the grouping happened

Portugal sure has Ronaldo and Quaresma to keep an eye on.

I am excited to see Euro 2008...I haven't seen a single football match since the World cup 2006..I am looking forward to this cup!

humanino said:
Zinedine Zidane
If my memory hasn't failed me...didn't he retire after the World cup 2006. :wink:

England for a surprise come back. Failing that Germany will be who I support.

England did not qualify..

I'd say Italy, but Czech republic are one to look out for as well.

mgiddy911 said:
England did not qualify..

Hence the surprise :rolleyes:

Kurdt said:
Hence the surprise :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the english team in Romanian uniforms ;)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Wouldn't be surprised to see the english team in Romanian uniforms ;)

Are Romania doubtful to turn up?

Romania has been rumored to be a dark horse for this competition, however they are in the group of death with Italy, France and Netherlands so I doubt they will go far.

Also one of their club teams was just fined and what not for corruption

mgiddy911 said:
Romania has been rumored to be a dark horse for this competition, however they are in the group of death with Italy, France and Netherlands so I doubt they will go far.

Also one of their club teams was just fined and what not for corruption

And Adrian Mutu was just busted for cocaine and fined $20 million!

Soccer ethics

Usually, when a player on the field is injured, a player will kick the ball out of play even if the injured player is on the other team. In that case, the team with the injured player would toss the ball to an opponent since they had the ball when the injury occurred.

How about this one where the player botches the intentionally out of bounds part? To be honest, I'm not sure what he was doing, but he obviously did it because of the injured player on the field (or because he was watching the asst ref).

Should the team with the injured player try to score or just tap the ball to the goalkeeper.

Totti would have known what to do.

And, speaking of penalties, this penalty was perfect. He obviously practiced a lot.

Can you spot the infractions? The third is hilarious as the player is obviously thinking "Oh, crap!" as soon as he does it (and he gets a card to go with it). Check out the position of the red players on the fourth kick.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
And Adrian Mutu was just busted for cocaine and fined $20 million!

What, again? Didnt this happen years ago?

I know he was caught years back, however, now Chelsea wants to fine him for the loss in money from his transfer fees to the tune of 9.6 million # which is roughly $20 million.

Chelsea paid for him, he failed drug test so they axed him thus he signed to Juventus on free transfer. It's a tough call legally you'd have to know all about what he signed in fine print on his contract.

Anyone watching tonights match? I know portugal are only playing turkey, but they look very good! Simao, ronaldo and deco look like they can do some damage in midfield, and there's still nani and others on the bench. Their defence doesn't look too bad either!

cristo said:
Anyone watching tonights match? I know portugal are only playing turkey, but they look very good! Simao, ronaldo and deco look like they can do some damage in midfield, and there's still nani and others on the bench. Their defence doesn't look too bad either!

Yes I'm watching. Portugal are looking good. The earlier match was a bit tame but I blame the ref for that.

I didnt see the earlier match, but I am glad i didnt miss much. This game is promising- and what a free kick by ronaldo, he's on form!

cristo said:
I didnt see the earlier match, but I am glad i didnt miss much. This game is promising- and what a free kick by ronaldo, he's on form!

Yes it was an amazing strike from that position, but what a save.

Nice game. Both Portugal goals were beautiful. Most of the Portugal shots that didn't connect were beautiful.

Interesting match in the end. It was a bit flat in places but Portugal produced some good moments and two great goals. I must admit that I thought Moutinho had ruined the chance when he tried that turn in the penalty area but it worked out nicely.

I can't believe Czech Republic beat Switzerland, i was disappointed. I think Frei was playing a little selfish, always shooting when getting the ball. Yakin came in and think they immediately started doing better.

I saw two handballs from the same player, one a penalty in my opinion. The Czech are playing badly, very slow and clunky. I like the way the Swiss were playing.

I think Portugal will get some revenge when they meet the Czech team on wednesday, make up for the quarter final elimination in 96 with that amazing goal from Poborsky (i was around, i don't forget this stuff :P).

Portugal did well, nice game.

I don't think Czech Republic looked that great, Portugal will win the group no problem.

I'm looking forward to Germany - Poland tomorrow. There has been some controversy around the match regarding some picture put together by the polish media, which the German people are supposedly demanding an apology for - you know the usual.

I also want to see Croatia they're my second team in this tournament (they have been for a while).

-Job- said:
I'm looking forward to Germany - Poland tomorrow. There has been some controversy around the match regarding some picture put together by the polish media, which the German people are supposedly demanding an apology for - you know the usual.

Yeyyy! Germany!

I also want to see Croatia they're my second team in this tournament (they have been for a while).

Booooooo! Croatia :frown:

Yeyyy Croatia! They're the perfect underdog, how can you not root for them?

-Job- said:

I'm English.

-Job- said:
Because instead of playing the beautiful game, they do their best to turn it into the ugly game.

Typically when i think of Croatia i think of pleasant footbal, but i haven't watched them recently. I like the fact that they managed to eliminate England without being required to (though i would like to have the english around of course).

Wow, the Netherlands destroyed Italy. They have a great team. After the recent games I'm glad this one came along, it was getting really boring.

It's too early to say, but I think the Netherlands are going to take the cup. Their team is a level above the competition.

Right now I'm missing the Spain match, but I don't think we can tell anything about the overall quality of the Spanish squad because of the relative ease of the group they're in. But hopefully they'll have a good run this time -- I was sad to see them leave the World Cup after the second round (even though I was supporting France!).

Villa is looking good, isn't he. This looks like game over now.. I think Russia could have got back in the game had Spain not scored a second.