Prefered software packages and calculators

In summary, the most commonly used software packages for scientific calculations are MATLAB, Python, R, SPSS, and SAS. For specific calculator recommendations, popular choices include the TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-115ES Plus, and HP 35s. There are also many free options such as GNU Octave, Scilab, and Maxima. When choosing the best software package, consider the type and complexity of calculations, as well as available resources and support. Using multiple tools is often recommended for cross-checking results and taking advantage of different features.
marcio
Dear friends...

I am doing a little survey on how you/we solve our math problems, like... non-linear system of equations, system of ODE's, parameter estimation, differential calculus, linear algebra etc.

So, if you don't mind, could you please list one or 2 software packages or calculator of your preference?

I'll start:

smaller problems - HP 50g, Excel spreesheets, Statistica.
advanced problems - Matlab or Scilab

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Octave; it is the same as Matlab, except free.

http://www.math.u-bordeaux.fr/~belabas/pari/doc/faq.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the most commonly used software packages for scientific calculations?

The most frequently used software packages for scientific calculations are MATLAB, Python, R, SPSS, and SAS.

2. Can you recommend a specific calculator for scientific calculations?

The TI-84 Plus CE, Casio fx-115ES Plus, and HP 35s are all popular choices for scientific calculators due to their advanced functions and user-friendly interfaces.

3. Are there any free software packages available for scientific calculations?

Yes, there are many open-source software packages such as GNU Octave, Scilab, and Maxima that offer similar capabilities to paid software packages.

4. How do I choose the best software package for my specific needs?

Consider the type of calculations you will be performing, the level of complexity, and the availability of resources and support for each software package before making a decision.

5. Can I use multiple software packages and calculators for my research?

Yes, it is often recommended to use multiple tools to cross-check results and to take advantage of different features and functionalities offered by different software packages and calculators.