Preference for the notation used for the wave function?

entropy1
If I am correct, the wave function is presented as a vector in Hilbert Space. Alternatively this vector can be multiplied by the identity operator. Is there a preference for one notation or the other? Are they both possible representations of the same wave function?

Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
the wave function is presented as a vector in Hilbert Space
More precisely, the quantum state is a vector in a Hilbert Space. The wave function is a particular representation of vectors in particular Hilbert Spaces.

entropy1 said:
this vector can be multiplied by the identity operator
Which leaves it unchanged.

entropy1 said:
Is there a preference for one notation or the other?
They aren't different notations for the state vector.

Where are you getting this from?

Sorry, I made a mistake.

PeterDonis said:
How so?
I was trying, in the finite dimensional Hilbert Space case, to get the probability amplitudes <Ψ|ei> on the diagonal of a matrix. But in the way I mentioned this is not the case.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
entropy1 said:
I was trying, in the finite dimensional Hilbert Space case, to get the amplitudes λi on the diagonal of a matrix.
What does this mean? Again, where are you getting this from? A reference would be very helpful as your own explanations are garbled.

PeterDonis said:
where are you getting this from?
I don't read scientific articles. I am not a scientist. I understand if you want to keep the forum tidy. I just have basic questions about physics.

entropy1 said:
I don't read scientific articles.

Then where did you get this phrase:
entropy1 said:
in the finite dimensional Hilbert Space case, to get the probability amplitudes <Ψ|ei> on the diagonal of a matrix.

?

weirdoguy said:
Then where did you get this phrase:
I was pondering that by myself. My only knowledge of QM comes from "QM the absolute minimum" by Susskind & co, and PF. I confused the eigenvalue with the probability amplitude. There is a lot I don't understand.

entropy1 said:
I just have basic questions about physics.
But apparently you can't even frame your questions in a way that anyone else can understand.

entropy1 said:
I was pondering that by myself.
Or even know where you are getting whatever information you are basing your questions on.

This is not a recipe for productive discussion. Thread closed.

1. What is the wave function notation?

The wave function notation is a mathematical representation used to describe the quantum state of a physical system. It is denoted by the Greek letter psi (ψ) and is a function of the position and time of the system.

2. Why is the wave function notation important?

The wave function notation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in many areas of physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. What is the difference between the Dirac and Schrödinger notations?

The Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, uses the symbols and to represent the quantum state and its corresponding dual state, respectively. The Schrödinger notation uses the wave function symbol ψ and its complex conjugate ψ* to represent the quantum state and its dual state. Both notations are equivalent and can be used interchangeably.

4. How is the wave function notation related to probability?

The wave function notation is related to probability through the Born rule, which states that the probability of finding a particle at a certain position is equal to the magnitude squared of the wave function at that position. In other words, the wave function represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a specific location.

5. Can the wave function notation be used for all types of physical systems?

Yes, the wave function notation can be used for all types of physical systems, as long as they follow the laws of quantum mechanics. This includes particles, atoms, molecules, and even larger systems like crystals and superconductors.