Symmetry and two electron wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses the left-right symmetry of a system with two identical orbitals and the notation used to indicate the number of spin-up electrons in each orbital. The question is whether the left-right symmetry of the system requires the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian to be in a specific form, such as a superposition of left-right symmetric and anti-symmetric states. The response is that there is no strict requirement for the eigenstates to follow this symmetry, but it may be necessary for certain operators, such as the Hamiltonian. However, for a general state, there is no such requirement.
hokhani
TL;DR Summary
Understanding the relation between system symmetry and wave-function symmetry
In the picture below we have two identical orbitals A and B and the system has left-right symmetry. I use the notation ##|n_{A \uparrow}, n_{A \downarrow},n_{B \uparrow},n_{B \downarrow}>## which for example ##n_{A \uparrow}## indicates the number of spin-up electrons in the orbital A. I would like to know is it possible to have an eigenstate as ##|1,1,0,0>## in this left-right symmetric system or, because of the symmetry of system, we must only have symmetric wave-functions as ##\frac{|1,1,0,0>\pm|0,0,1,1>}{\sqrt(2)}##?
Any help is appreciated.
Picture3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The only symmetry that states must follow is the one related to interchange of two identical particles.

(That said, if you need states to be eigenstates of some operators, like the Hamiltonian, then certain symmetries may need to be respected. But for a general state, there is no such requirement.)

Likes Lord Jestocost and hokhani
Thanks very much. In the second quantized form, the interchange of particles are included in the commutation of fermionic operators.
However, I would like to know whether the left-right symmetry of this system demands the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian be in the form ## \frac{1}{\sqrt(2)}(|1,1,0,0>\pm|0,0,1,1>)## or they can also have the form like ##|1,1,0,0>##?

What is the Hamiltonian?

I don't mean a specific Hamiltonian. I mean each left-right symmetric Hamiltonian for this system.

Sorry if I didn't convey myself. To explain in a better way; for a left-right symmetric system, can we have the eigenstates which doesn't have this symmetry?

hokhani said:
Sorry if I didn't convey myself. To explain in a better way; for a left-right symmetric system, can we have the eigenstates which doesn't have this symmetry?
If you have a degenerated eigenvalue with a left-right symmetric and a left-right anti-symmetric eigenstate, then take a superposition of them to get an eigenstate which is not left-right symmetric.

Likes DrClaude and hokhani
gentzen said:
If you have a degenerated eigenvalue with a left-right symmetric and a left-right anti-symmetric eigenstate, then take a superposition of them to get an eigenstate which is not left-right symmetric.
Thanks, I got it. Like the parity in one-particle system, provided that there is no degeneracy, the eigenstates must have even or odd symmetry as ##\frac{1}{\sqrt(2)}(|1,1,0,0>\pm|0,0,1,1>)##. Otherwise, there is no demand for symmetry of the eigenstates.

1. What is symmetry in relation to two electron wave function?

Symmetry in a two electron wave function refers to the equal probability of finding the two electrons in any given position in space. This means that the wave function is unchanged when the positions of the two electrons are interchanged.

2. How does symmetry affect the properties of a two electron system?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in determining the properties of a two electron system. It affects the energy levels, electron spin states, and overall stability of the system.

3. Can the two electron wave function exhibit both symmetric and antisymmetric behavior?

Yes, the two electron wave function can exhibit both symmetric and antisymmetric behavior, depending on the spin state of the electrons. In a singlet state, the wave function is antisymmetric, while in a triplet state, it is symmetric.

4. How is the symmetry of the two electron wave function related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. The symmetry of the two electron wave function ensures that the electrons have opposite spin states, satisfying the exclusion principle.

5. What is the significance of symmetry in the study of molecular orbitals?

Symmetry is crucial in the study of molecular orbitals as it helps in predicting the shape, stability, and reactivity of molecules. The symmetry of the two electron wave function determines the overall symmetry of the molecular orbital, which in turn affects its properties.