Preparation for grad school - nonlinear systems

In summary: It's also a good idea to consider minor or double major in a related field, such as computer science or physics, to have a well-rounded understanding of nonlinear systems and chaos.In summary, to prepare for graduate study in nonlinear systems and chaos, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of differential and partial differential equations, as well as knowledge in computer science or computational methods for studying neural networks. Research in this field may differ between disciplines, but it is important to have a well-rounded understanding. As a biological engineering major, it may be beneficial to consider a minor or double major in a related field such as math or computer science to enhance your understanding and prepare for graduate study. Ultimately, it is recommended to research specific grad programs and contact professors
jbrussell93
Lately I have been reading about nonlinear systems and chaos. It's fascinating and I would like to know more about how I could prepare myself to possibly study this in grad school. I would be interested in looking at biological systems such as neural networks or even animal populations. I'm a biological engineering major minoring in math, but:

- what extra math would I need to be prepared for graduate study?

- how does research in nonlinear systems/chaos differ between disciplines (math, physics, engineering)?

- is there room for bioengineers in the field or should I consider switching to something more obvious like math?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey jbrussell93.

The first suggestion would have to be to study DE's and PDE's at the highest levels that you can.

For neural networks you might want to get a computer science or computational perspective for this and read about it in this context. It won't obviously be the same as studying neuro-biology, but I think at some level it will be helpful to gain a kind of intuitive sense in one regard.

In terms of animal populations, one suggestion I have is to look into the managing of Fisheries: there are models that are based on difference equations (kind of the analog of DE's for discrete time movements) which are easy to follow (more so than the complex calculus varieties) and are still practical and useful.

Ultimately though, it's always a good idea to contact the school you are interested in for specifics, and it may help to look at the backgrounds of people in particular departments to get ideas of such things as well.

My suggestion would be to investigate what grad schools are doing research in the area you're interested in and/or a professor who's research interests you, and see what kind of background that grad program requires for acceptance.

1. What are the key skills needed for graduate school in nonlinear systems?

The key skills needed for graduate school in nonlinear systems include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Additionally, strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills are essential, as well as the ability to analyze and interpret data. Familiarity with computer programming and software such as MATLAB is also beneficial in this field.

2. How can I prepare for the rigorous coursework in graduate school for nonlinear systems?

To prepare for the coursework in graduate school for nonlinear systems, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and theories in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also helpful to review and practice problem-solving techniques and familiarize oneself with relevant software and programming languages. Additionally, staying organized and managing time effectively can help in managing the workload.

3. What types of research opportunities are available in nonlinear systems for graduate students?

There are various research opportunities available in nonlinear systems for graduate students, including theoretical, computational, and experimental research. Some common research areas in this field include chaos theory, nonlinear dynamics, and control theory. Additionally, there may be opportunities to collaborate with industry partners or participate in interdisciplinary research projects.

4. Is it necessary to have prior research experience before applying to graduate school for nonlinear systems?

Having prior research experience is not a requirement for applying to graduate school for nonlinear systems, but it can be beneficial. Research experience demonstrates a commitment to the field and can help strengthen your application. It also provides valuable skills and knowledge that can help in graduate coursework and research projects.

5. Are there any resources or programs available to help with the transition to graduate school for nonlinear systems?

Many universities offer resources and programs to help with the transition to graduate school for nonlinear systems. These may include workshops, seminars, and mentorship programs. Additionally, some institutions offer graduate student support services such as tutoring, counseling, and academic advising. It can be helpful to reach out to your prospective graduate program to inquire about any available resources.