Preparation Numerical Methods Course

In summary, the conversation discussed preparing for a numerical methods course, specifically in regards to using Matlab for programming and brushing up on relevant math topics. Suggestions were made to review Matlab syntax and theory on solving equations, ODEs, and PDEs. The use of Gaussian elimination techniques and a book on linear algebra with examples in Matlab were also recommended.
Max.Planck
Hi,

Next year I will be a numerical methods course as part of my Mathematics minor (CS major).
I want to prepare for this course in the summer. How can I best prepare for this class considering I have never used Matlab before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever programmed before?

Angry Citizen said:
Have you ever programmed before?
A lot. I also do a lot of algorithmic challenges such as ICPC, TopCoder, CodeJam etc.

Then all you need to do is brush up on MATLAB's syntax, at least for the programming aspect. As for the math, well, I suppose it depends greatly on the topics being discussed.

Angry Citizen said:
Then all you need to do is brush up on MATLAB's syntax, at least for the programming aspect. As for the math, well, I suppose it depends greatly on the topics being discussed.

Topics discussed are the following:
- Estimation of error
- Numeric Integration
- Data fitting
- Numerically solving ODE
- Boundry Value problems
- PDE
- Solving equations

Note: I have done Calc I&II and Linear Algebra.

Estimation of Error: Brush up on Taylor Series.
Solving equations: Brush up on matrices. Gaussian elimination techniques are useful to know here.

'fraid I can't comment on the rest, I'm in the midst of my own numerical methods course.

Well, in addition to what Angry Citizen said, since the course covers solutions to ODEs and PDEs you may want to brush up on the theory of those topics. Some linear algebra and maybe a little bit of basic probability will help too.

You can get a Matlab book and start going through it yourself if you want to (I can't recommend any, sorry).

I have the book: "Linear Algebra and its applications" by Lay. It contains some examples in Matlab I think, will that suffice?

1. What is the purpose of a Preparation Numerical Methods Course?

A Preparation Numerical Methods Course is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and techniques of numerical methods, which are used to solve mathematical problems that cannot be solved analytically. The course aims to equip students with the necessary skills to apply numerical methods in various scientific and engineering fields.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Preparation Numerical Methods Course?

Topics covered in a Preparation Numerical Methods Course may include numerical differentiation and integration, solving systems of linear and nonlinear equations, interpolation and curve fitting, and numerical solutions to differential equations. Other topics may also include error analysis, root finding algorithms, and numerical optimization techniques.

3. What are the prerequisites for taking a Preparation Numerical Methods Course?

Prerequisites for a Preparation Numerical Methods Course may vary depending on the institution, but typically include a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and basic programming skills. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of differential equations and scientific computing.

4. How is a Preparation Numerical Methods Course taught?

A Preparation Numerical Methods Course may be taught through a combination of lectures, in-class demonstrations, and hands-on computer exercises. The course may also include assignments and projects to reinforce the concepts learned in class and to provide practical experience in applying numerical methods to real-world problems.

5. What are the career opportunities for students who have taken a Preparation Numerical Methods Course?

Students who have taken a Preparation Numerical Methods Course may have opportunities to work in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, finance, and computer science. They may also pursue graduate studies in related fields or work as researchers, data analysts, or consultants. The skills learned in a Preparation Numerical Methods Course are highly valued in industries that require data analysis and problem-solving skills.