Preparing for a PhD in Cosmology: What Math Should I Focus On?

• Thread starter m_x_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, to prepare for a PhD in Cosmology, one should focus on developing a strong foundation in mathematics, specifically in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, understanding statistical analysis and programming languages such as Python or R can also be beneficial for conducting research in this field. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of advanced mathematical concepts such as tensor analysis and group theory, which are commonly used in cosmological theories. Overall, a strong background in mathematics is crucial for success in pursuing a PhD in Cosmology.
m_x_a
How did you find PF?
Via Google search
Greetings everyone,

It's lovely to be here and I decided to join because I thought I might be able to get ideas about what math I should do to prepare for a PhD in Cosmology. (All I have so far is an undergrad math & stats degree).

I mean I love pure math and view it as a series of puzzles; but somehow cosmology sounds more "applied". Anyway there are so many experts here that I'm sure I'll learn tons and get plenty of directional ideas.

Cheers

Max

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Likes m_x_a
Thank you!

m_x_a said:
How did you find PF?: Via Google search

I thought I might be able to get ideas about what math I should do to prepare for a PhD in Cosmology.
Welcome to PF. Start a new thread in the Academic Advising forum, with as much information about your background as you can provide. Also include which schools you are thinking about applying to for your PhD. You should get lots of good advice. :smile:

Likes m_x_a
Thank you very much, have done. Not so schools as I'm in the UK and most people here seem to be US based; however answers re the math needed will be helpful (and I've learned to call it math and not maths! :smile:)

Likes berkeman