Preparing for CMIUG Math Exam: Is it Olympiad-level?

• Thread starter jobsism
  • Start date
In summary, the CMIUG Math Exam is an annual competition that focuses on problem-solving skills and creative thinking. It is considered to be at an Olympiad-level difficulty and is meant for students with a strong interest and aptitude in mathematics. To prepare for the exam, it is recommended to practice solving challenging problems and study fundamental mathematical concepts. While special materials are not necessary, having access to practice problems and resources can be beneficial. Prior Olympiad experience is not necessary, but having a strong foundation in mathematics can be helpful.
jobsism
Hi! I'm in quite a dilemma here, so any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

So I'm writing this math-based entrance examination called CMIUG, for entering into CMI (Chennai Mathematical Institute; a college in India). But when I looked at their previous years' papers, they seemed to be a radical departure from the math I learned in high school. It seems pretty much Olympiad-level to me, and since the exam takes place in less than 3 months and I have limited Olympiad knowledge, I'm wondering whether I'll be ready for it.

Can anyone tell me if these are high-end type Olympiad problems that require extensive theory, or the basic ones, that I will be able to manage in 3 months, provided that I cover the basics of problem-solving, and work out a lot of problems?

These are the links to previous year question papers [Please don't reveal any answers, as they seem interesting, and I intend to find it out on my own :)]:-

http://www.cmi.ac.in/admissions/sample-qp/ugmath2010.pdf

http://www.cmi.ac.in/admissions/sample-qp/ugmath2011.pdf

Also, currently I'm learning from a book called "Mathematical Circles: A Russian Experience". It's very interesting, and I enjoy solving the problems, but I'm not really sure if it's enough for preparing for the above-mentioned type of questions.

Help please! I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest other books too, that cover most topics, going gradually from an easier to harder terrain.

Thanks in advance! :D

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your dilemma and concerns about the CMIUG exam. It is common for entrance exams to be more challenging and require a higher level of understanding than what is taught in high school. From looking at the previous year's papers, it does seem like the exam is at an Olympiad level, which can be quite difficult if you do not have prior experience with Olympiad-style problems.

My advice would be to first focus on mastering the basics of problem-solving. This includes understanding key concepts and techniques, such as mathematical induction, combinatorics, and number theory. It would also be helpful to practice solving problems from past Olympiad exams to get a better understanding of the type of questions that may appear on the CMIUG exam.

In addition to the book you are currently using, I would recommend looking into other resources such as online courses, practice books, and attending workshops or camps specifically focused on Olympiad-style problem-solving. These resources can provide you with a more comprehensive understanding of the topics and techniques needed to excel on the exam.

Furthermore, I would suggest reaching out to current CMI students or alumni who have taken the exam for tips and advice. They may be able to provide you with a better understanding of the exam and share their experiences on how they prepared for it.

Overall, with hard work and dedication, I believe you can prepare for the CMIUG exam in 3 months. Just remember to focus on mastering the basics and practicing as much as possible. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the CMIUG Math Exam and how is it different from other exams?

The CMIUG Math Exam is an annual competition organized by the Chennai Mathematical Institute User Group (CMIUG), which consists of a series of challenging mathematical problems for students to solve. It is different from other exams in that it focuses on problem-solving skills and creative thinking rather than rote memorization of formulas.

2. Is the CMIUG Math Exam at an Olympiad-level difficulty?

Yes, the CMIUG Math Exam is considered to be at an Olympiad-level difficulty. This means that the problems are designed to be more complex and require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It is meant for students who have a strong interest and aptitude in mathematics.

3. How can I prepare for the CMIUG Math Exam?

The best way to prepare for the CMIUG Math Exam is to practice solving challenging mathematical problems. You can find past papers and sample questions on the CMIUG website or other online resources. It is also helpful to study fundamental mathematical concepts and familiarize yourself with different problem-solving techniques.

4. Do I need any special materials or resources to prepare for the CMIUG Math Exam?

No, you do not necessarily need any special materials or resources to prepare for the CMIUG Math Exam. However, having access to a variety of practice problems and solutions, as well as textbooks or online resources for reference, can be beneficial.

5. Is it necessary to have prior Olympiad experience to do well on the CMIUG Math Exam?

No, prior Olympiad experience is not necessary to do well on the CMIUG Math Exam. However, having experience with other math competitions or a strong foundation in mathematics can be helpful in approaching and solving the challenging problems presented in the exam.